Deepak Lather beat two-time Commonwealth championships gold medallist and fellow Services lifter Ajay Singh to claim his first gold medal in the men’s 81kg weight category in the weightlifting arena of the National Games here on Sunday.
Former National champion Lather, representing his home state Haryana, defied a knee issue to improve his performance a notch to secure the top spot with a total of 315kg.
“I am happy to get a gold medal after my National title in 2018. This is my first year in this weight and I improved one kg more than what I had done at the National championships in Bhubaneswar in March,” said Lather, who lifted 145kg in his second snatch attempt and 170kg in second clean and jerk effort.
Ajay, who trained for just two weeks, took the silver with 314kg.
In a field comprising reputed names such as current Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Harjinder Kaur, who jumped to a higher weight category, and multiple CWG medallist Punam Yadav, National silver medallist R.Arokiya Alish managed to claim the women’s 76kg title with an aggregate of 206kg.
- IPL auction: Five World Cup stars who could get an Indian Premier League contract on December 19
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Maharashtra aims to secure spot in knockouts after last season final loss
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues
- Indian team leaves for FIH Women’s Junior World Cup 2023
- NBA In-Season roundup: Cavs recovers, tops 76ers in OT