Laxmirani Majhi’s challenge came to a quick end as she was beaten 7-1 by Alexandra Longova of Slovakia in the women’s first round of the individual archery competition at the Sambodromo Stadium on Monday.
The Slovak won 27-25, 28-26, 27-24 in the first, second and fourth sets, while Laxmi was able to tie the third set and split points at 26-26, after she shot her only 10 of the whole match.
SHOOTING: >Bindra finishes fourth; Manavjit exits
The other two Indian women, Deepika Kumari and Bombayla Devi, will be competing later.
Atanu Das, placed fifth after the men’s ranking round, will open his campaign on Tuesday.
Swimmers Kataria, Prakash fail to qualify
Indian swimmers Sajan Prakash and Shivani Kataria expectedly made early exits in their respective events at the Olympics here today.
The 22-year-old Sajan clocked 1 minute 59.37 in finishing fourth ahead of Bradlee Ashby of New Zealand in the heats. He eventually finished 28th among 29 competitors. Tamas Kenderesi of Hungary topped with a time of 1:54.73.
The 18-year-old Shivani, the only woman swimmer from the country eligible to compete in the Olympics, as she met the criteria of having competed in the World Championship, clocked 2 minutes 09.30 seconds to be placed 41st in a field of 42 swimmers.
Interestingly, Shivani finished second in the heats ahead of Kaya Adwoa Forson of Ghana, whom she beat to avoid the wooden spoon in the overall list.
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures