P. V. Sindhu’s parents showed grace and composure in acknowledging Spaniard Carolina Marin as the deserving winner of the women’s singles badminton final at the Rio Olympics.
Speaking after >Sindhu's three-game loss to Marin , P. V. Ramana, the father, said they were happy with the performance of Sindhu — the youngest silver medallist from India at the Olympics.
“We all knew that Marin would be a tough opponent and Sindhu had to really play well to win the gold. But, we are not dispirited and feel great that India won its first silver in Rio,” Ramana said.
“Marin’s court coverage was splendid and I believe that Sindhu should learn how to scream and shout to come back into a game. That is a key element at this level,” Ramana, a former Asian Games medallist in volleyball, said. “This is the first Olympics for Sindhu and she is coming back with a silver medal. What more can we ask for.”
Also read: >Sindhu's parents and their sacrifice
“We thank each and every Indian for their great support to Sindhu’s campaign. She may have lost today’s final, but she won the hearts of millions,” he added. “We promise that Sindhu would come back stronger in the days to come to match the kind of standard Marin has shown today and win an Olympic gold next time.”
Sindhu’s mother, Vijaya, said that there was no need to feel disappointed, though a golden finish would have been a perfect ending. “We take pride in our daughter’s performance as we were aware that it was never going to be easy in the final,” she said.
Both of them thanked chief national coach P. Gopichand for his “monumental effort” in guiding Sindhu to the silver.
- India vs Nepal LIVE score, Asian Games 2023 cricket quarterfinal updates: Streaming info; Toss at 6am IST
- India vs Bangladesh Kabaddi LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: IND faces BAN in Men’s Group A match; When and where to watch?
- ISL 2023-24: Martinez strike guides FC Goa to win in its opening match of the season against Punjab
- Ancy Sojan’s dream night in Hangzhou: Asian Games silver, new PB and dancing to Vijay’s hit number from Leo
- Premier League: Liverpool ask PGMOL for VAR decision audio after controversial Tottenham defeat