Aryna Sabalenka warmed up for the Australian Open by capturing her 11th WTA Tour title with a 6-3 7-6(4) win over teenaged Czech qualifier Linda Noskova in the Adelaide International 1 final on Sunday.
The big-hitting Sabalenka made a sluggish start to the WTA 500 event this week before hitting her stride and she was flying in the first set against the giant-killing 18-year-old, taking charge of rallies from the baseline to grab the advantage.
Noskova, who had defeated ailing top seed Ons Jabeur in the semi-final after wins over the higher-ranked Daria Kasatkina and two-times Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka, took the tight second set to a tiebreak where Sabalenka switched gears.
A crosscourt winner set up three matchpoints for Sabalenka and the world number five double-faulted before closing out the contest with a booming serve for her first title in almost two years and a boost before the Jan. 16-29 Australian Open.
- MLS suspends Vancouver coach Sartini for six games
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 5: Pujara rebuilds for SAU vs MUM; Punjab crosses 100 vs TN; Padikkal key for Karnataka
- LeBron’s son Bronny James set to return after cardiac arrest
- Messi’s Miami to face El Salvador national team
- Former Brazil, Atletico Madrid defender Filipe Luis to retire at season’s end