Leander Paes and his Polish partner Lukasz Kubot entered the men’s doubles quarter-finals of the Valencia Open with a straight-set victory over Spaniard-Argentine wildcard pair of Pablo Carreno Busta and Federico Delbonis here today.
The second seeded Indo-Polish combination took an hour and 11 minutes to get the better of their rivals 6-3 7-5 in the first round of the 537,050-euro event at the indoor hard courts of the Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciencies here.
Paes and Kubot will face Chris Guccione of Australia and Brazil’s Andre Sa in the quarters.
After a comfortable first set, where Paes and Kubot broke the Spaniard-Argentine pair just once to win it, they had to face some tough challenge from their opponents in the second set. But in the end, Paes and Kubot used their experience to wrap it off in their favour.
The Indo-Polish duo earned nine breakpoint opportunities as compared to just four by their rivals.
- Pakistan team fitness was lowest priority for Babar Azam, coach Mickey Arthur: Hafeez
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Yashasvi Jaiswal breaks into top-20 of ICC Test Rankings
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16