Worlds silver medallist Deepak Punia has been ruled out of the World Wrestling Championships in Belgrade due to an elbow injury.
He fractured his hand during his training in Michigan, USA. The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) conducted a trial and selected Sanjeet as the Olympian’s replacement in the 86kg freestyle class, according to WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar.
Punia recently bagged the gold medal in the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, that concluded last month. The 23-year old from Chhara village of Haryana had won the silver medal in the 2019 World Championships in the 86 kg category.
- Atletico Madrid extends contract of coach Diego Simeone to 2027
- New Zealand test cricketer Henry Nicholls to face ball tampering charge
- Europa League 2023: West Ham secures late win over Olympiakos, Marseille beats AEK
- Europa League 2023: Liverpool loses 3-2 at Toulouse; Brighton beats Ajax
- SA vs AFG head-to-head record in ODIs: South Africa vs Afghanistan overall stats ahead of ICC World Cup 2023 match