Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis produced a spirited fight back as they survived a late onslaught to win their first ever clay-court title here at Italian Open on Sunday.
After losing the second set by a wicker,the Indo-Swiss pair rebounded strongly to secure a 6-1, 6-7(5), 10-3 win over recently united Russian pair of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina in the summit showdown that lasted for one hour an 30 minutes.
With the win, Hingis and Mirza also captured their 14th women’s doubles title together and fifth of the year.
It was also their first title win since the end of their incredible 41-match winning streak in Doha in February.
- NBA roundup: LeBron James hits milestone, but Nuggets win
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 2 Semifinal 2024: Sai Kishore picks fifer vs Mumbai; Yash Thakur removes Gawali, Venkatesh vs MP
- De Minaur sinks Ruud to retain Mexican Open crown
- India climbs to top spot in WTC standings after Australia beats New Zealand
- LeBron James reaches 40,000 points to extend his record as the NBA’s scoring leader