- August 20, 2023 23:04End of Day 2
The World Athletics Championships’ second day comes to an end with that thrilling 100m race. Hungary gets its first medal in the Men’s Hammer Throw, an event that gave a neew champions in Canada’s Ethan Katzberg. Britain’s Katarina Johnson-Thompson clinched the Women’s Heptathlon title by a whisker.
We’ll be back with more updates for the third day of competition. There will be no Indians in action but still a lot to look forward to.
- August 20, 2023 23:00Result - Women’s Long Jump
1. Ivana Vuleta - 7.14 (WL)
2. Tara Davis-Woodhall - 6.91
3. Alina Rotaru-Kottmann - 6.88
- August 20, 2023 22:47Result - Men’s 100m Final
1. Noah Lyles - 9.83 (=WL)
2. Letsille Tebogo - 9.88 (NR)
3. Zharnel Hughes - 9.88
4. Oblique Seville - 9.88
5. Chrsitian Coleman - 9.92
6. Abdul Hakim Sani Brown - 10.04
7. Ferdinand Omanyala - 10.07
8. Ryiem Forde - 10.08
- August 20, 2023 22:43Result - Men’s 100 Final
Noah Lyles wins the 100m race! He was slow to start off but makes amends in the final 50m of the race. Christian Coleman was the leader in the early stages but Letsille Tebogo and Zharnel Hughes closed in to seal off the rest of the medals.
- August 20, 2023 22:41Get Ready!
All eight sprinters are on the track for the race.
- August 20, 2023 22:39Men’s 100m Final startlist
1. Noah Lyles - 9.87
2. Christian Coleman - 9.88
3. Oblique Seville - 9.90
4. Zharnel Hughes - 9.93
5. Ryiem Forde - 9.95 (q)
6. Abdul Hakim Sani Brown - 9.97
7. Letsille Tebogo - 9.98
8. Ferdinand Omanyala - 10.01
- August 20, 2023 22:37The final event of the day
The Men’s 100m final is up next, ladies and gentleman. The semifinals have already thrown a few upsets so do not be surprised if we get more in the final race.
- August 20, 2023 22:36ETHAN KATZBERG WINS HAMMER THROW GOLD
The Canadian ends the round with 81.11m to win the gold medal in style.
- August 20, 2023 22:35WOJCIECH NOWICKI FINISHES 2ND
The Pole cannot better his mark on the final attempt and will end 2nd with 81.02m.
- August 20, 2023 22:33BENCE HALASZ ENDS 3RD
The Hungarian has a no throw on the final chance and has to settle for a bronze medal with a best of 80.82m.
- August 20, 2023 22:32PAWEL FAJDEK OUT!
The Pole only manages a 77.99m in the final attempt and loses out on the chance to get another medal at the World Championships.
- August 20, 2023 22:32Men’s Hammer Throw Final
As things stand before the final attempt
1. Ethan Katzberg - 81.25
2. Wojciech Nowicki - 81.02
3. Bence Halasz - 80.82
4. Pawel Fajdek - 80.00
- August 20, 2023 22:26Men’s 10000m Final
1. Joshua Cheptegei - 27:51.42
2. Daniel Ebanyo - 27:52.60
3. Selemon Barega - 27:52.72
What a scintillating finish to the race. Barega gave it is all till the final 50 metres of the race but the Ugandan was just a notch better and was not letting the lead slip.
- August 20, 2023 22:25Men’s 10000m Final
The final is leading up to a thrilling finish. Cheptegei has the lead in the final lap. Olympic champion Barega also in the mix for the gold.
- August 20, 2023 22:23Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
CANADA’S ETHAN KATZBERG THROWS 81.25 METRES TO SNATCH THE LEAD. That is also the national record.
Poland’s Nowicki also betters his throw to 81.02m.
- August 20, 2023 22:20Men’s 10000m Final
Ethopia’s Berihu Aregawi takes the lead as the race crosses the 7000m mark. Cheptegei also in the front pack now, waiting to close in at the right time. We have six laps left in the race.
- August 20, 2023 22:17Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
A change in the leaderboard. Wojciech Nowicki with a massive 80.83m throw to get to the top place. That is just one centimetre over home boy Halasz’s throw.
- August 20, 2023 22:15Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
Pawel Fajdek still out of medal contention. He falters on his fourth attempt and remains in the fourth place with a best of 80m.
- August 20, 2023 22:12Men’s 10000m Final
Kenya’s Benard Kibet is the one to open a considerable lead after the 4000m metre mark. It is turning out to be a slightly cagey race as there a big swarm of runners behind Kibet as the half-way point nears.
- August 20, 2023 22:02Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
Bence Halasz betters his own record. He lands an 81.02, throw for a personal best. He extends his lead with the jump too. Nope, scratch that update please. Looks like the attempt has been flagged illegal.
- August 20, 2023 21:57Men’s 10000m Final
Uganda’s Joshua Cheptegei commences his bid to win a third consecutive Worlds gold in the event. Can he be challenged? We’ll find out soon enough.
- August 20, 2023 21:48Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
Pawel Fajdek is out of the medal places. Wojciech Nowicki lands the hammer at 80.70m on the second try to take second place. The third position is with Canada’s Ethan Katzberg who threw 80.17m in his first attmept.
- August 20, 2023 21:47Women’s Heptathlon
Katarina Johnson-Thompson clinches the title for the second time. She ends the 800m in 2:05.63 to seal the first spot with 6740 points. USA’s Anna Hall was chasing the title. The American won the 800m race with 2:04.09 but fell agonisingly short at 6720 points.
- August 20, 2023 21:38Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
The Olympic champion Wojciech Nowicki gets a throw of 79.14 on the first try. He stands third at the moment.
- August 20, 2023 21:37Women’s 1500m semifinal Heat 2
The second Heat saw as many as nine runners clock sub-four minute times.
- August 20, 2023 21:27Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
Hungary’s Bence Halasz takes the lead with a throw of 80.82 metres. Loud cheers in the stadium.
- August 20, 2023 21:23Men’s Hammer Throw - Final
The title contender and defending champion Pawel Fajdek starts with a throw of 80.00 metres. Setting the tone with his first attempt. This is also his season best.
- August 20, 2023 21:16Result - Men’s 1500m Heat 2
1. Jakob Ingebrigtsen - 3:34.98
2. Josh Kerr - 3:35.14
3. Cole Hocker - 3:35.23
4. Mario Garcia - 3:35.26
5. Isaac Nader - 3:35.31
6. Reynold Cheruiyot - 3:35.53
A commanding run from Ingebrigtsen. He was lagging behind in the pack but swept past multiple bodies in the final 200 metres to end the race as the winner. He is into the final.
- August 20, 2023 21:08Men’s 1500m Heat 2
The crowd favourite Jakob Ingebrigtsen in action up next.
- August 20, 2023 21:06Result - Men’s 1500m Heat 1
1. Yared Nuguse - 3:32.69
2. Abel Kipsang - 3:32.72
3. Niels Laros - 3:32.74
4. Azeddine Habz - 3:32.79
5. Narve Gilje Nordas - 3:32.81
6. Neil Gourley - 3:32.97
- August 20, 2023 21:00Men’s 1500m semifinals
After women, it the turn of the men to make their way to the final of the 1500m race.
- August 20, 2023 20:54Result - Women’s 1500m semifinals
1. Faith Kipyegon - 3:55.14
2. Diribe Welteji - 3:55.18
3. Sifan Hassan - 3:55.48
4. Laura Muir - 3:56.36
5. Katie Snowden - 3:56.72
6. Jessica Hull - 3:57.85
- August 20, 2023 20:49Women’s 1500m Heat 2
The second Heat is underway. Faith Kipyegon is the event favourite and should seal the place comfortably. Also in the Heat is Netherlands’ Sifan Hassan.
- August 20, 2023 20:43Result - Women’s 1500m semifinals
1. Nelly Chepchirchir - 4:02.14
2. Birke Haylom - 4:02.46
3. Ciara Mageean - 4:02.70
4. Cory Ann McGee - 4:02.71
5. Melissa Courtney-Bryant - 4:02.79
6. Ludovica Cavalli - 4:02.83
- August 20, 2023 20:36Women’s 1500m semifinals
Kenya’s Faith Kipyegon will be in action in the second semifinal. Two Heats of 12 runners each and the top six from both make the final.
- August 20, 2023 20:33Men’s 100m - Final startlist
1. Noah Lyles - 9.87
2. Christian Coleman - 9.88
3. Oblique Seville - 9.90
4. Zharnel Hughes - 9.93
5. Ryiem Forde - 9.95 (q)
6. Abdul Hakim Sani Brown - 9.97
7. Letsille Tebogo - 9.98
8. Ferdinand Omanyala - 10.01
- August 20, 2023 20:26Result - 100m Heat 3
1. Oblique Seville - 9.90
2. Letsille Tebogo - 9.98
REIGNING CHAMPION FRED KERLEY IS OUT! He can get only 10.02 on the clock which means he does not make the (q) timing either.
- August 20, 2023 20:20100m Heat 3
Fred Kerley vs Oblique Seville in the third and final Heat of the Men’s 100m.
- August 20, 2023 20:17Result - 100m Heat 2
1. Christian Coleman - 9.88 (Q) (SB)
2. Zharnel Hughes - 9.93 (Q)
Jamaica’s Ryiem Forde got in third at 9.95 and joins Omanyala in the waiting room to see if he makes it to the final.
- August 20, 2023 20:15100m Heat 2
South Africa’s Akani Simbine is out of the second Heat for a false start.
He might be able to still compete under a protest. Nope, he decides against it. Simbine opts not to protest the decision.
- August 20, 2023 20:10100m Heat 2
The second Heat is lining up. Watch out for the British champion Zharnel Hughes in this one.
- August 20, 2023 20:08Result - 100m Heat 1
1. Noah Lyles - 9.87 (Q) (SB)
2. Abdul Hakim Sani Brown - 9.97 (Q) (PB)
World No. 1 Ferdinand Omanyala managed a timing of 10.01 and will have to wait to know his fate. Olympic Champion Marcell Jacobs is out with a timing out of 10.05.
- August 20, 2023 20:07Result - 100m Heat 1
Noah Lyles storms home in 9.87 seconds. He is through to the final.
- August 20, 2023 20:05100m Heat 1
We’re all set, folks! Lament Marcell Jacobs vs Noah Lyles. Add World No. 1 Ferdinand Omanyala in the mix too.
- August 20, 2023 20:00Men’s 100m Heat 3
1. Brendon Rodney
2. Rohan Browning
3. Fred Kerley
4. Raphael Bouju
5. Letalle Tebogo
6. Oblique Seville
7. Reece Prescod
8. Henrik Larsson
- August 20, 2023 19:58Men’s 100m Heat 2
1. Hiroki Yanagita
2. Seye Ogunlewe
3. Akani Simbine
4. Christian Coleman
5. Rylem Forde
6. Zhamel Hughes
7. Emmanuel Matadi
8. Emanuel Archibald
- August 20, 2023 19:53Men's 100m Heat 1
- Dominic Kopec (Poland)
- Lamont Marcell Jacobs (Italy)
- Noah Lyles (USA)
- Ferdinand Omanyala (Kenya)
- Abdul Hakim Sani Brown (Japan)
- Eugene Amo-Dadzie (Great Britain)
- Rohan Watson (Jamaica)
- Usheoritse Itsekiri (Nigeria)
- August 20, 2023 19:51Coming up - Men’s 100m semifinals
Three Heats. The top two from each heat make the final, along with the next two fastest losers.
- August 20, 2023 19:32Too easy for Sha’Carri Richardson
- August 20, 2023 19:14In case you missed watching day one of the competition, here’s our correspondent Jonathan Selvaraj with a wrap from the venue
- August 20, 2023 19:05Just an hour to go for the men’s 100m semifinals!
There will be three heats at this stage. Top two from each heat and two fastest losers overall will qualify for the final which will take place later tonight.
- August 20, 2023 18:53DID YOU KNOW?
- August 20, 2023 18:33Double delight for Spain as María Pérez wins women’s 20km race walk
- August 20, 2023 18:22Jamaica’s Oblique Saville overshadowed the American in men’s 100m heats yesterday. Will he be able to repeat it today when it matters the most?
- August 20, 2023 18:02No upsets in women’s 100m heats
- August 20, 2023 17:53The athletes to watch out in the evening session
Men’s 100m - Fred Kerley, Noah Lyles, Ferdinand Omanyala, Zharnel Hughes, Letsile Tebogo
Women’s Long Jump - Tara Davis-Woodhall
Women’s 1500m - Faith Kipyegon, Sifan Hassan
Men’s 1500m - Jakob Ingebrigtsen
Men’s Hammer Throw - Wojciech Nowicki
Men’s 10000m - Joshua Cheptegei
- August 20, 2023 17:35ICYMI, here are the highlights from an extraordinary day one of the event
- August 20, 2023 17:23Events in the evening session (Timings in IST)
8:05PM - Men’s 100m Semifinals
8:25PM - Women’s Long Jump Final
8:35PM - Women’s 1500m Semifinals
9PM - Men’s 1500m Semifinals
9:19PM - Men’s Hammer Throw Final
9:30PM - Women’s 800m (Heptathlon)
9:55PM - Men’s 10000m Final
10:40PM - Men’s 100m Final
- August 20, 2023 17:22End of afternoon session
In women’s heptathlon, Great Britain’s Katarina Johnson-Thompson leads with 5710 points going into the final event - 800m. Dutchwoman Anouk Vetter is second with 5684 points while USA’s Anna Hall is third with 5667 points.
- August 20, 2023 17:13Men’s 110m hurdles heats summary
Apart from world leader Rasheed Broadbell’s unexpected exit, most of the top athletes such as Parchment, Zhoya and Holloway are through to the semifinals.
- August 20, 2023 17:06A day to forget for Broadbell
- August 20, 2023 16:55Upset in men’s 110m hurdles heats!
World leader Rasheed Broadbell of Jamaica stumbles midway through third heat and is out of the competition!
- August 20, 2023 16:50Men’s high jump finalists
And the lineup for the men’s high jump final has been decided:-
- Mutaz Essa Barshim (Qatar)
- JuVaughn Harrison (USA)
- Gianmarco Tamberi (Italy)
- Ryoichi Akamatsu (Japan)
- Sanghyeok Woo (South Korea)
- Oleh Doroshchuk (Ukraine)
- Marco Fassinotti (Italy)
- Andrii Protsenko (Ukraine)
- Tobias Potye (Germany)
- Brandon Starc (Australia)
- Shelby McEwen (USA)
- Norbert Kobielski (Poland)
- Luis Enrique Zayas (Cuba)
India’s Sarvesh Kushare finishes tied-20 overall.
- August 20, 2023 16:39Next up: Men’s 110m hurdles heats
Olympic champion Hansle Parchment, Spain’s Enrique Llopis, Frenchman Sasha Zhoya and USA’s Cordell Tinch clinch the four automatic qualification spots in the first heat of men’s 110m hurdles.
- August 20, 2023 16:30Tamberi living on the edge!
Olympic champion Gianmarco Tamberi, after two failed attempts, finally manages to clear 2.28m and stay in the men’s high jump qualification round.
- August 20, 2023 16:27Women’s 100m sprint heat 7 ft. reigning world champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
No problems for Fraser-Pryce, the defending champion, as she wins her heat in 11.01s. Mujinga Kambundji of Switzerland second with 11.08s and New Zealand’s Zoe Hobbs third with 11.14s.
- August 20, 2023 16:22Women’s 100m sprint heat 6
Ivory Coast’s Marie-Josee Ta Lou, who is having the season of her life at the age of 34, wins the heat easily in 11.08s. Second spot goes to Jamaica’s Shashalee Forbes (11.12s) but the spectators are ecstatic for the third-place finisher, who is the local athlete Baglarka Takacs!
- August 20, 2023 16:17Women’s 100m sprint heat 5
USA’s Sha’Carri Richardson wins the heat with a timing of 10.92s. Natasha Morrison of Jamaica in second with 11.02s while Italian Zaynab Dosso finishes third with 11.14s.
- August 20, 2023 16:062:25m - No clearance for Kushare
Sarvesh Kushare, who does have a personal best of 2.27m, fails to clear 2.25m in three attempts in the men’s high jump qualification.
- August 20, 2023 16:04Women’s 100m heat 4
World leader Shericka Jackson of Jamaica cruises to victory with 11.06s. Trinidad and Tobago’s Michelle-Lee Ahye second with 11.16s and Germany’s Gina Luckenkemper takes the final automatic qualification spot with 11.21s.
- August 20, 2023 16:00Women’s 100m heat 3
Poland’s Ewa Swoboda wins the heat with 10.98s! USA’s Tamari Davis in second with 11.06s and Dutchwoman N’Ketia Seedo in third with a personal best of 11.11s.
- August 20, 2023 15:582:25m - Still no luck for Kushare
India’s Sarvesh Kushare fails to clear 2.25m in two attempts. One more left. Can the Indian overcome the nerves to find the perfect jump?
- August 20, 2023 15:52Women’s 100m heat 2
American Brittany Brown (11.01s) beats Great Britain’s Dina Asher-Smith (11.04s) to win the heat and possibly get a more favourable draw for the semifinals. Spain’s Jael Bestue (11.28s) clinches the final automatic qualification spot. Cuba’s Yunisleydis De La C. Garcia disqualified for false start.
- August 20, 2023 15:48Women’s 100m heat 1
Julien Alfred of Saint Lucia, who had a false start last year, wins the first heat with a timing of 10.99s followed by Daryll Neita of Great Britain (11.03s) and Gina Bass of Gambia (11.10s) in the other two automatic qualification spots for the semifinals.
- August 20, 2023 15:432:25m - Kushare falters in first attempt
Sarvesh Kushare fails to clear the 2.25m height in men’s high jump qualification in his first attempt. Still, the Indian has two more chances.
- August 20, 2023 15:39Next up: Women’s 100m sprint heats!
Get ready to watch some of the fastest athletes on the planet. Reigning world champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce will be in the seventh and final heat.
- August 20, 2023 15:36Men’s 400m hurdles heats summary
All pre-tournament favourites - Karsten Warholm, Alison Dos Santos, Rai Benjamin, CJ Allen and Roshawn Clarke - are through to the semifinals without much fuss. India’s Santhosh Kumar Tamilarasan finishes 36th overall.
- August 20, 2023 15:30Next target for men’s high jump qualification: 2.25m
Sarvesh Kushare has cleared 2.25m before in his high jump career. Can he do it once again but this time, at the biggest stage?
- August 20, 2023 15:20Seventh-place finish for Santhosh
Santhosh Kumar Tamilarasan finishes seventh in his 400m hurdles heat with a timing of 50.46s, well below his personal best of 49.09s. The Indian is currently 20th overall and his chances of making it to the semifinals look bleak.
World record holder Warholm led the race for most part before easing down towards the end, finishing second (48.76s) behind Frenchman Wilfried Happio (48.63s).
- August 20, 2023 15:13Time for men’s 400m hurdles heat three
Santhosh Kumar Tamilarasan of India starts in lane nine. Olympic champion Warholm in lane three.
- August 20, 2023 15:05No problems for Kushare this time
Sarvesh Kushare clears 2.22m in his first attempt itself. Impressive stuff from the Indian so far. Can he keep this going?
- August 20, 2023 15:04Barshim and Tamberi are here!
Mutaz Essa Barshim and Gianmarco Tamberi, who shared the gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics in one of the most heart-warming sporting moments, are finally in action in Budapest in men’s high jump qualification. Both clear 2.22m with ease.
- August 20, 2023 15:01ICYMI, here is the latest episode of the Sportstar Podcast where Nihit Sachdeva and Jonathan Selvaraj discuss the various storylines and India’s medal chances at the ongoing World Athletics Championships as well as the Badminton World Championships which begin tomorrow
From Neeraj Chopra to Satwik-Chirag - Can Indians conquer the world? | World Championship preview
Listen to this episode from Sportstar Podcast on Spotify. Join Nihit Sachdeva and Jonathan Selvaraj as they preview the World Athletics Championships in Budapest and the Badminton World Championships in Copenhagen. #Athletics #Badminton #SportsPodcast
- August 20, 2023 14:56Men’s 400m hurdles heats underway!
India’s Santhosh Kumar Tamilarasan will be running in the third heat which features Olympic champion and world record holder Karsten Warholm in the start list.. Top four from every heat and the four fastest losers will progress to the semifinals.
- August 20, 2023 14:48Next height in men’s high jump qualification: 2.22m
Next target for Sarvesh Kushare is 2.22m.
- August 20, 2023 14:47Men’s 400m heats summary
No major upsets in the men’s 400m heats as the likes of Wayde Van Niekerk, Steven Gardiner and Vernon Norwood easily qualify for the semifinals. Norway’s Havard Ingvaldsen tops the charts with 44.39m, bettering his own national record.
- August 20, 2023 14:45Kushare does it on the second attempt!
Sarvesh Kushare stays in the competition as he clears the height of 2.18m on his second attempt in men’s high jump qualification.
- August 20, 2023 14:40In case you’re wondering what makes shot putter Ryan Crouser a champion, we’ve got you covered
- August 20, 2023 14:332.18m: Kushare Fails in first attempt
Sarvesh Kushare fails to clear 2.18m height in his first attempt.
- August 20, 2023 14:28Bar raised in men’s high jump qualification
The next target for Sarvesh Kushare is to clear 2.18m.
- August 20, 2023 14:16Good start for Kushare
Sarvesh Kushare clears the opening height of 2.14m in the men’s high jump qualification in his first attempt.
- August 20, 2023 14:07Time for men’s high jump qualification!
Sarvesh Kushare is in action in group B.
For automatics qualification mark of 2.30m, Kushare will need to go past Tejaswin Shankar’s national record of 2.29m.
The Indian would hope to finish in the top 12 to make it to the final.
- August 20, 2023 13:56Women’s 400m heats summary
Last year’s silver medallist Marileidy Paulino and bronze medallist Sada Williams are amongst the 24 women who have qualified for tomorrow’s semifinals. However, Shaunae Miller-Uibo, the reigning world champion who returned after maternity leave, finishes 37th overall and her campaign is over.
- August 20, 2023 13:50Tejaswin Shankar, Commonwealth Games bronze medallist in high jump, writes on the storylines he is looking forward to at the world championships
- August 20, 2023 13:36Women’s 20km Race Walk Final Top three
Gold medal - Maria Perez (Spain)
Silver medal - Jemima Montag (Australia)
Bronze medal - Antonella Palmisano (Italy)
Defending champion, Kimberly Garcia Leon of Peru, finished fourth
- August 20, 2023 13:28What happened on Day One?
- August 20, 2023 13:25Where to watch World Athletics Championships 2023 in India?
The World Athletics Championships 2023 are being live streamed in India on Jio Cinema.
- August 20, 2023 13:21World Athletics Championships Day Two: Indians in action
Men’s High Jump Qualification - 2:05PM IST - Sarvesh Anil Kushare
Men’s 400m Hurdles Heats - 2:55PM IST - Santhosh Kumar Tamilarasan
- Mitrovic’s late brace helps seal a huge win for Al Hilal against Ronald’s Al Nassr in Saudi Pro League
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr Highlights, HIL 3-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Savic, Mitrovic scores, Ronaldo’s goal ruled off side
- Aston Villa makes official complaint to UEFA after Legia Warsaw violence
- India Women’s squads for Tests, England T20Is announced: Saika Ishaque, Shubha Satheesh get maiden call-ups
- SA vs IND: Sai Sudharsan ‘lost for words’ after maiden India call-up for South Africa ODIs