Khushi Dongre has been signed up by ASA College, Miami, basketball team coach Kevin Johnson announced on Wednesday. The 18-year-old, who hails from Aurangabad, is another addition to the 2019 batch, which already has players from South America and Africa.
She was selected to represent India in the FIBA Asia U-18 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament, played in Malaysia from August 22-24. Khushi was part of the Indian team for the U-16 Women's Asian Championship India 2017 Division B. The youngster also participated in the NBA Academies Women’s Programme at The NBA Academy India last year and in January 2019. She earned the Best Teammate Award in 2018 and the Coaches Award at the 2019 camp.
Talking about the hoopster, the coach said: “It was such a blessing to be able to bring in a player from the NBA Academies Women’s Program because we have the same vision. We are excited to have Khushi on our team and look forward to her bringing a high game IQ, shooting ability and teamwork to our program.”
The NBA AWP, launched in February 2018, is a series of basketball development camps for top female prospects from outside the US at the league's academies. Johnson is looking to build upon the record-setting 2018 season at the helm of the Silver Storm’s women’s basketball programme. In just his first season, the team set over a dozen single-game and single-season records.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m