Undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney was arrested on a felony weapons charge Thursday in Los Angeles, according to police.
Haney, 24, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle and released on $35,000 bond. An Aug. 3 municipal court date was set, online court records showed.
Haney was in the back seat when police conducted a traffic stop, Bill Haney, the boxer’s father, trainer and manager, told ESPN.
The elder Haney said the charge is “a misunderstanding that will be solved when Devin goes to court. It’s unfortunate that he was arrested with his armed licensed security, and I’m confident things are going to be worked out.”
Haney retained his titles and improved to 30-0 in May with a unanimous decision over Vasiliy Lomachenko at 135 pounds in Las Vegas.
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifying format explained: CAF qualifiers, How do African teams qualify for World Cup?
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers points table LIVE: CAF standings, South Africa tops Group C, Salah hat-trick helps Egypt lead Group A
- Canada down Jamaica in CONCACAF Nations League quarters
- Miandad and Shoaib Akhtar lash out at PCB for “forcing” Babar to step down from captaincy
- MotoGP Qatar: Jorge Martin wins sprint to cut Bagnaia’s title lead