The Indian men’s contingent made history by winning three bronze medals at the IBA Boxing World Championships in Tashkent, which is its best-ever count in a single edition.
Deepak Bhoria in 51kg, Mohammed Hussamuddin in 57kg, and Nishant Dev in 71kg category won bronze medals in the Uzbek capital on Friday.
Vijender Singh was the first male Indian boxer to win a World Championships medal, taking bronze in the middleweight division in 2009.
No male Indian boxer has yet won a gold medal at the World Championships, with Amit Panghal’s flyweight (52kg) silver medal in the 2019 tournament being the best result.
Here is the full list of men who have won a medal for India at the world championships.
Indian Men’s Boxing World Championships Medalists
- Vijender Singh (Bronze) – 2009
- Vikas Krishan (Bronze) – 2011
- Shiva Thapa (Bronze) – 2015
- Gaurav Bidhuri (Bronze) – 2017
- Manish Kaushik (Bronze) – 2019
- Amit Panghal (Silver) – 2019
- Akash Kumar (Bronze) – 2021
- Deepak Bhoria (Bronze) – 2023
- Mohammed Hussamuddin (Bronze) – 2023
- Nishant Dev (Bronze) – 2023
Latest on Sportstar
- McIlroy tied for lead at Memorial by making fewest mistakes
- Jabeur upset with fans reselling tickets due to women’s match in night session
- Nkunku stars as Leipzig retains German Cup with 2-0 win over Frankfurt
- Stokes downplays fitness concerns, set to bowl in Ashes
- On court of pain, Zverev rediscovers his joie de vivre in Paris