India was assured of two medals at the Thailand International Boxing Tournament after K. Shyam Kumar (49kg) and Rohit Tokas (64kg) advanced to the semifinals in Bangkok on Wednesday.
Both Shyam and Rohit are medallists from the 2015 edition of the event. While Shyam had won the gold medal, Rohit had clinched a bronze.
The two boxers had won silver medals at the Senior Nationals in Guwahati last year.
Shyam got the better of Thailand’s Samak Saehan. Rohit, on the other hand, defeated Kazakhstan’s Kuatov Kuan.
However, it was curtains for former Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Manoj Kumar, who lost in the welterweight quarterfinals.
Manoj went down to Uzbekistan’s Giyasov Shakhram in the last—eight stage contest.
Shyam and Rohit have tough bouts up next in the semifinals tomorrow.
While Shyam will square off against Cuba’s Jorge Alejandro Grina Mer, Rohit will be up against Uzbekistan’s Abduraimov Elnur.
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Healy departs early as Warriorz chase 158
- Sri Lanka T20 skipper Wanindu Hasaranga gets two-match ban for abusing umpire
- Pune Challenger 2024: Vacherot storms into final with a comeback win against Sweeny
- Indian sports wrap, February 24
- ISL 2023-24: Injury-hit Kerala Blasters hosts FC Goa as both teams look to regain winning touch