Viswanathan Anand started his campaign in the 82nd Tata Steel Masters chess tournament here with a 31-move draw against Russia’s Vladislav Artemiev.
World champion Magnus Carlsen and Anish Giri signed truce in 25 moves in the day’s shortest game.
In the 14-player field, debutant Iranian Alireza Firouzja, playing under the FIDE flag, defeated Belarus’ Vladislav Kovalev in 36 moves before being joined in the lead by local Jorden van Foreest, who ended the resistance of Yu Yangyi in 75 moves.
In Group ‘B’, Surya Shekhar Ganguly started with a 41-move win over Dutchman Max Warmerdam to lead with local Erwin L’Ami.
Nihal Sarin, the other Indian in the fray, drew with Nils Grandelius (Sweden) in a marathon game lasting 103 moves.
Latest on Sportstar
- India vs Australia head-to-head in Tests ahead of WTC Final 2023
- IND vs AUS Dream 11 prediction, WTC Final 2023: India vs Australia Playing 11 updates, fantasy picks, pitch report, squads
- WTC Final 2023: Oval pitch report; India, Australia playing record; key stats
- French Open: Stefanos Tsitsipas regrets using sleep aid melatonin before loss to Carlos Alcaraz
- Nuggets coach Malone hammers home need for discipline