It was a show worthy of a true champion but India was unable to put it across Australia in the women’s hockey semifinals here on Thursday.
The Indians, who had begun with a surprising loss to Wales but improved with each other outing, did really surprise the Australians and a sell-out crowd, holding on bravely, before losing to a 37th minute strike by Grace Stewart.
It was a defensive lapse which paved the way for Grace to move ahead and put the ball past Savitha, who otherwise had a good day bringing off several saves as the desperate Australians pressed hard.
India had its chances in every quarter and despite its good showing, the side lacked a confident forward who could speedily get the ball into the rival circle and strike.
In the bronze medal match, India will take on England, which lost to New Zealand 2-1 in a penalty shoot out after a goalless stalemate at full time.
- Asian Games 2023, September 30, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Men’s squash team wins gold; India leads 1-0 in men’s badminton semifinal
- Badminton World Junior Championships: India finishes seventh in team events
- India vs England LIVE Score, ODI World Cup Warm-up: Rain delays play in Guwahati after IND opts to bat vs ENG
- Vani Kapoor tied-29th in France, Amandeep misses cut
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 30 - LIVE - India wins gold in squash men’s team, tennis mixed doubles; IND 4th with 10 gold, 36 medals