Ganguly hopeful Bangladesh's tour of India will go ahead

BCCI president Sourav Ganguly is hopeful Bangladesh's tour of India will go ahead as planned despite its cricketers going on strike since Monday.

Bangladesh players have refused to participate in any cricket activity until their demands are met, but BCCI president Sourav Ganguly's hopeful the tour will go as per schedule.   -  AP

As Bangladesh cricketers continue with their strike, the series between India and Bangladesh -- which begins next month -- remains uncertain. But newly appointed Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) chief, Sourav Ganguly, is hopeful of the series going ahead as scheduled.

Last week, Ganguly had invited Bangladesh Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, as the chief guest for the Test match, starting in Kolkata on November 22, and she has given her consent.

“When Prime Minister has given consent, I don’t see the players not turning up,” Ganguly said on Wednesday, soon after taking charge.

The upcoming tour was thrown into jeopardy on Monday after the Bangladesh national team players refused to participate in any cricketing activity until their demands, including a hike in salary, are met.

“At the end of the day, it’s their decision, their internal matter where we do not have any say…” Ganguly said.

There are reports in Bangladesh media that the players are likely to meet with Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials later on Wednesday, where the matter would be discussed.

During the tour to India, which starts on November 3, Bangladesh is scheduled to play three T20 Internationals and two Test matches as part of the World Test Championship.

In case Bangladesh forfeits, the ICC will award the Test series to India, which will get 120 points.