Faf du Plessis departed South Africa's third one-day international against Sri Lanka early as a precaution after falling awkwardly on his shoulder.
Du Plessis had surgery on his right shoulder late last year and the Proteas were keen not to risk their captain as he showed signed of discomfort in the field on Sunday.
The 34-year-old dived as Thisara Perera dragged a Willem Mulder delivery from outside off, Du Plessis failing to make the catch and then leaving the field with the physio.
A short update on South Africa's Twitter page confirmed that its skipper had hurt his shoulder and would stay out of the rest of the match.
The Proteas had earlier set Sri Lanka a steep target of 364, though Du Plessis contributed just 10 of those runs off 14 balls as his side ended their innings at 363-7.
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Bumrah removes Carey as Australia loses fourth wicket
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav, Manush qualify for doubles R-32; Sathiyan, Manika in Mixed Doubles R-32 action now
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India 6th with 5 gold, 22 medals in total
- Ukraine to boycott all UEFA competitions featuring Russian teams
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE, September 27 Updates: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; Esha bags silver in 25m pistol; Sumit, Ankita bow out in tennis; India 5th with 22 medals