Marco Jansen registered the most expensive bowling figures for a South African in a World Cup during his side’s CWC 2023 match against India at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Sunday.
Jansen conceded 94 runs in his 9.4 overs, with the Indian batters smashing for 15 fours and and six. This is also the left-arm pacer’s worst-ever figures in his ODI career.
Jansen’s figures are also the third-worst by a South African bowlers, behind Dale Steyn and Wayne Parnell.
Jansen didn’t do his cause any good by bowling seven wides and a no-ball. His poor day started with his first over, with the South African giving away 22 runs, including a wide four.
Jansen, who took the wicket of KL Rahul to take his 2023 World Cup tally to 17, never got into his rhythm against the Indian batters.
Jansen was forced to bowl the last four balls of the 50th over after Lungi Ngidi was forced off the field injured. He conceded two fours off those four balls, against Ravindra Jadeja.
- Book review: A valuable anthology of Indian sport and place of women in it
- Chandu Borde: We never played for money
- Everton boss Dyche calls for sanctions to be applied in off-season
- Mexican Open: De Minaur battles past Tsitsipas for spot in semifinals
- Joel Embiid wants to play again this season, for the 76ers and US Olympic team