India captain Rohit Sharma surpassed Chris Gayle’s tally of sixes in the ICC Cricket World Cup during the match against New Zealand in Mumbai on Wednesday.
Rohit is also the most prolific six-hitter in international cricket. He surpassed Gayle’s record during India’s World Cup 2023 match against Afghanistan in Delhi on October 11.
Rohit was at his marauding best against the Kiwis during his 40-ball 46, which included four sixes and as many fours. He was eventually dismissed by Lockie Ferguson after getting an inside edge onto his stumps.
In another significant movement in the top-five list of six-hitters at the World Cup, Glenn Maxwell went past New Zealand’s Brendon McCullum during his 40-ball century against Netherlands in Delhi on Wednesday.
MOST SIXES IN ODI WORLD CUP HISTORY
- Rohit Sharma - 50 sixes matches
- Chris Gayle - 49 sixes in 35 matches
- AB de Villiers - 37 sixes in 23 matches
- David Warner - 36 sixes in 24 matches
- Glenn Maxwell - 33 sixes in 24 matches
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test Day 3: IND trails by 134 runs; ENG needs 3 wickets to take big lead
- Arsenal routs Newcastle to keep pace with leader Liverpool
- Former England, QPR forward Stan Bowles dies aged 75
- Foden strike keeps Man City on Liverpool’s heels
- Harry Kane to the rescue again as Bayern snaps 3-game losing streak