Australia opener Travis Head became the seventh batter to score a century in an ODI World Cup final at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Sunday.
He reached his hundred off 95 balls with a single off the bowling of Kuldeep Yadav in the 34th over. Head was dismissed by Mohammed Siraj with Australia needing two runs to lift its sixth World Cup title. He departed for 137 off 120 balls and won the Player of the Match award for his match-winning performance.
The left-hander is the first batter to reach the three-digit mark in a World Cup summit clash since Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene achieved the feat in 2011 against India at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
Head is also the third Australian to score a World Cup final century, after Ricky Ponting (2003) and Adam Gilchrist (2007), and only the second batter, after Aravinda de Silva of Sri Lanka, to do so in a run-chase.
FULL LIST OF CENTURIES IN ODI WORLD CUP FINAL
- Clive Lloyd (WI) - 102 (85) vs Australia in 1975 (Lord’s)
- Viv Richards (WI) - 138* (157) vs England in 1979 (Lord’s)
- Aravinda de Silva (SL) - 107* (124) vs Australia in 1996 (Lahore)
- Ricky Ponting (AUS) - 140* (121) vs India in 2003 (Johannesburg)
- Adam Gilchrist (AUS) - 149 (104) vs Sri Lanka in 2007 (Bridgetown)
- Mahela Jayawardene (SL) - 103 (88) vs India in 2011 (Wankhede)
- Travis Head (AUS) - 100* (95) vs India in 2023 (Ahmedabad)
- India vs Qatar LIVE score, IND 0-3 QAT, FIFA World Cup 2026 Qualifier: Sunil Chhetri subbed off, Abdurisag scores third goal
- Full list of ICC ODI World Cup winners: Australia beats India to win sixth title
- Travis Head becomes seventh batter to score hundred in ODI World Cup final
- Shooting World Cup: Divya finishes 7th, Esha 13th in 10m air pistol final
- Indian sports news wrap, November 21