Ashton Turner, on Monday, was dismissed for a third straight first-ball duck playing his third match for Rajasthan Royals. With the platform perfectly set up for him to go and express himself — Royals was 157 for three with 25 balls left in the innings when the Australian walked in to bat — Turner spooned a slower delivery outside off-stump from Ishant Sharma to cover.
Turner made his IPL debut at the same venue (PCA IS Bindra Stadium in Mohali) where he obliterated Jasprit Bumrah and co. and helped his country successfully chase down 360. He had exceeded expectations with that unbeaten, match-winning 84 against India in the fourth ODI, his innings keeping Australia alive in the five-match series and acting as the springboard for it to go on and win the series 3-2.
Turner has, however, not translated that hitting form in the format he was expected to thrive in given his ball-striking ability and familiarity of the conditions.
Against Kings XI, he replaced Liam Livingstone in Royals' XI. And, walking in with the team needing 55 off 18 balls, Turner holed out in the deep off leg-break bowler Murugan Ashwin. Royals, chasing 183 for victory, ended up losing the match by 12 runs.
In his second outing, Turner walked in with Royals in a much comfortable position against Mumbai Indians. He had the opportunity to finish off the match and remain unbeaten — Royals needed only 15 runs with 16 balls remaining when he walked in to bat — but he was trapped in front by a booming inswinger from Bumrah.
Turner was the player who Royals turned to after managing just two wins in its first seven matches. The Australian has so far failed to deliver despite walking into favourable match situations twice.
- Hyderabad FC vs Mohun Bagan SG LIVE Streaming Info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch HFC vs MBSG, predicted lineups, preview and more
- IPL 2024 Auction: Full list of registered capped Indian players, base price
- Mitrovic’s late brace helps seal a huge win for Al Hilal against Ronald’s Al Nassr in Saudi Pro League
- Al Hilal vs Al Nassr Highlights, HIL 3-0 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Savic, Mitrovic scores, Ronaldo’s goal ruled off side
- Aston Villa makes official complaint to UEFA after Legia Warsaw violence