Three-time IPL winner, Mumbai Indians, the two-time winner, Chennai Super Kings (CSK), Delhi Daredevils (DD) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) retained three players at the Vivo-IPL player retention event here on Thursday.
The eight franchises together retained 18 players, including the lone uncapped player in batsman Sarfaraz Khan, who agreed to play for a sum of Rs. 1.75 crore, although the guideline price for the uncapped player was Rs. 3 crore.
India captain Virat Kohli was retained by RCB for an agreed upon price of Rs. 17 crore, which is the amount that will be deducted from the franchise’s salary purse of Rs. 80 crore for the 11th edition.
RCB also secured the services of South African batsman A.B. De Villiers at a cost of Rs. 11 crore.
As expected CSK retained Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Suresh Raina and Ravindra Jadeja, Mumbai Indians nominated Rohit Sharma, Hardik Pandya and Jasprit Bumrah while Delhi Daredevils chose Chris Morris, Rishabh Pant and Shreyas Iyer.
There was no significant surprise with inaugural year winner Rajasthan Royals retaining a lone player in Australian captain Steve Smith and Kings XI Punjab making its presence felt by going for all-rounder Axar Patel at an agreed sum of Rs. 6.75 crore.
Reflecting on CSK’s return to the league, Team Director George John said: “ We are excited. We are looking forward to building a team. We just want to retain the core, which is what we have always done. We are also taking CSR initiatives and putting an app. We are very excited.”
The BCCI acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary congratulated the new five-season media rights holder of the IPL, Star India and the title sponsor, Vivo and said in his welcome speech: “It’s been an unbelievable decade, IPL has grown by leaps and bounds. It’s been an exhibition of talent in every single game of the IPL.”
Mumbai Indians, Akash Ambani was happy to say that Hardik Pandya and Jasprit Bumrah have been the find of MI. “ Rohit is synonymous with MI and Hardik and Jasprit have become the pillars of the Indian team; now they are also MI’s."
Here's the list of players retained by using the Player Retention option.
- AFC Champions League 2023-24: Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr secures knockout stage berth with draw against Persepolis
- Al Nassr vs Persepolis Highlights, AFC Champions League 2023-24: NAS 0-0 PER, Ronaldo’s 10 man team moves to round of 16 with a draw
- AFC Champions League points table LIVE: Al-Nassr vs Persepolis, Ronaldo’s side leading in Group E, enters round of 16
- ISL 2023-24: Super sub Victor Rodriguez brings three points home for FC Goa against Jamshedpur FC as it goes on top of the table
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC Highlights, AFC Cup: MBSG 2-5 OFC, Juggernauts beat Mariners to stay second