Sri Lankan police on Monday arrested deposed oil minister Arjuna Ranatunga over a shooting that killed one person on the weekend, police spokesman said.
“Colombo Crime division arrested Ranatunga over the shooting incident and he will be produced to the court shortly,” police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekera told Reuters.
President Maithripala Sirisena on Saturday declared that the cabinet had been dissolved with the appointment of a new prime minister a day earlier.
Since then, members of trade unions linked to the new prime minister, Mahinda Rajapaksa, have blocked ministers from the old cabinet from entering their ministries.
Police said earlier that in an altercation on Sunday, when Ranatunga — captain of Sri Lanka's 1996 cricket World Cup winning side — tried to enter his office, his security guard shot and killed one person and wounded two.
- Paul Pogba banned: FIFA World Cup winner handed four-year ban for doping, as per reports
- How to watch Formula One in India? F1 returns outside the ambit of F1 TV
- Off-side: Walking the tightrope of sports journalism
- Athletes in country to be issued digital certificates for participation and performance, says Anurag Thakur
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board — The support behind para-archer Sheetal Devi