Batting legend Sunil Gavaskar was known to play long Test innings against the best of bowling attacks. However, he says today's batsmen have the talent but what they lack is patience.
"I think the only thing they lack is patience. I won’t say they lack it. You can say patience is in short supply. There are exceptions, of course, and they are in the top five or top 10 in the rankings. But otherwise, the quality of patience is not there," Gavaskar said in an exclusive interview with Sportstar .
Many are of the view that the standard of bowling and batting has fallen in modern day cricket, but Gavaskar has a different view point.
Follow the India vs South Africa, 3rd Test LIVE
"Actually, both have improved because there is a lot more variety. Look at the number of new shots. Look at the number of new deliveries. The back of the hand ball, the knuckle ball, the Dilscoop. The ramp shot was there, the upper cut was always there, but some of these new shots like reverse sweep and switch hit have made cricket so attractive.
"Add to that the all-round athleticism. There is hardly a fielder you have to hide anywhere. That makes cricket so much more attractive now," he said.
With the coming in of T20 cricket, one may feel there is too much of cricket happening round the year. "You get this feeling because there is too much of cricket happening all over the world. Not necessarily that one team is playing too much cricket. I think teams are playing the right amount of cricket," Gavaskar said.
Read the full interview in the latest issue of the Sportstar magazine.
Latest on Sportstar
- Moeen Ali to join England squad for Ashes, confirms ECB
- WTC Final India vs Australia LIVE Score: Rohit’s IND Playing XI in focus at Oval; Weather updates, Dream11 prediction
- India vs Netherlands, FIH Pro League 2022-23, June 7: Preview, head-to-head, live streaming info
- WTC final 2023: Kishan or Bharat as India wicketkeeper? Farokh Engineer weighs in
- WTC Final 2023: Oval pitch report; India, Australia playing record; key stats