All-rounder Washington Sundar will join India’s squad in Colombo ahead of the Asia Cup final against Sri Lanka as a replacement for Axar Patel.
Patel had suffered multiple injuries during India’s last Super 4 match against Bangladesh on Friday. The left-hand batter scored 42 runs off 34 deliveries in the match but could not steer his side to a victory. The 29-year-old’s participation in the final is uncertain thus prompting the addition of Sundar.
The BCCI in its statement on Saturday evening said Axar was left out of the squad due to a “left quadriceps strain.”
Sundar is also a part of the Indian team playing in the Asian Games in Hangzhou and will rejoin the squad in Bengaluru after the final, the report added.
The Tamil Nadu all-rounder has played played 16 One-Day Internationals for India, scoring 233 runs at 29.12 and claiming 16 wickets.
- NZ vs SL: Rachin Ravindra breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record of most runs in single edition of ODI World Cup before age 25
- Premier League: VAR controversies prompt calls for action
- Podcast | India’s Hockey Women’s Asian Champions Trophy triumph and what it means for the side’s Paris Olympics ambitions
- Europa League 2023: Liverpool deserved to lose, says Klopp
- Naomi Osaka set to make her tennis return at the Brisbane International