Zimbabwe cricketers Sean Williams and Craig Ervine have been ruled out of the one-off Test against Bangladesh starting in Harare on Wednesday after close contact with coronavirus-positive family members forced them into quarantine.
"Sean Williams and Craig Ervine, part of Zimbabwe's 20-man squad announced last week, could not join the squad," media manager Darlington Majonga was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo .
"They had to self-isolate after both came into contact with family members who tested positive for Covid. According to national health protocols, they had to self-isolate."
Brendan Taylor, who is likely to lead the side, said the absence of the duo would provide a chance for the newcomers to prove themselves.
"We are missing a few experienced players but we have some young and exciting players coming through," Taylor said.
"It is a great opportunity for them to see where they stand. It is an exciting time for Zimbabwe cricket." Four uncapped players, including opener Takudzwanashe Kaitano, fast bowler Tanaka Chivanga and batters Joylord Gumbie and Dion Myers were named in the squad last week.
Latest on Sportstar
- Take responsibility, technical director tells French players after dismal campaign
- FA Cup final: Man United looks to derail tactically superior City’s treble hopes
- German Cup Final: Departing boss Glasner hopes Frankfurt ‘sparkle’ one last time
- Sabalenka skips French Open presser, cites mental health reasons
- IND 5-1 BEL Live Score, FIH Pro League 2022-23: Harmanpreet scores brace as India dominates Belgium