Simon Kjaer is expected to be out for months after AC Milan announced on Thursday the Denmark centre-back had damaged ligaments is in left knee.
Kjaer was stretchered off early on in Milan's 3-0 win at Genoa on Wednesday and the Serie A giant revealed in a statement he would be going under the knife to repair the damage.
"The MRI and specialist evaluation Simon Kjaer underwent this morning confirmed the need for an arthroscopy on his left knee to repair ligament damage," said Milan.
"Surgery is scheduled to be performed tomorrow (Friday)."
ALSO READ |
Milan travels to Salernitana on Saturday before hosting Liverpool three days later as the Rossoneri bid to make the last 16 of the Champions League.
The 32-year-old joins a growing list of absentees for Stefano Pioli's side, with Olivier Giroud, Ante Rebic and Davide Calabria among those unavailable.
Milan sits second in Serie A, just one point behind leaders Napoli who could only draw 2-2 at Sassuolo on Wednesday.
- Tamil Nadu’s Mareeswaran hopes to realise Olympic dreams through Senior Nationals Hockey tournament
- Hardik Singh ‘amazed and honoured’ after FIH Player of the Year Award 2023 nomination
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Maharashtra aims to secure spot in knockouts after last season final loss
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues
- IPL auction: Five World Cup stars who could get an Indian Premier League contract on December 19