In a pulsating AFC Champions League Group E encounter, Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr played out a tense goalless draw against Persepolis at Al Awwal Park to move to the round of 16.
The opening minutes witnessed a moment of high drama when Cristiano Ronaldo was awarded a penalty after being brought down inside the box. However, in a remarkable display of sportsmanship, he waved away the decision, suggesting that there had been no contact. The referee, in consultation with VAR, subsequently overturned the penalty.
The match took a dramatic turn in the 17th minute when Al Nassr centre-back Ali Lajami was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Persepolis’ Sarlak. This incident significantly altered the complexion of the game, with the Knights of Njad reduced to 10 men.
Despite the numerical disadvantage, Al-Nassr displayed resilience and managed to hold on to a point. The second half was more of a cautious affair, with both teams wary of committing further errors.
Persepolis had its chances to break the deadlock, with Torabi and Zahedi both going close with long-range efforts. Ronaldo also had two decent opportunities for Al-Nassr, but his header went straight at the goalkeeper before his crafty shot missed the goal by a whisker.
In the end, the draw was a fair reflection of the game. Al-Nassr, despite playing with a man less, showed its fighting spirit and determination to secure a point. Persepolis, on the other hand, will be disappointed not to have capitalized on its numerical advantage.
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Tamil Nadu eliminates defending champion Saurashtra to enter semis
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Ashwin overtakes Kumble for most wickets in Tests in India
- Pramod, Yathiraj and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Los Cabos Open 2024: Thompson downs Ruud to win maiden ATP crown
- Ranji Trophy Highlights 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: TN beats Saurashtra by an innings; Andhra closes in on win vs MP