Striker Alexis Sanchez will not travel to Brazil with the rest of the Chile squad and will miss at least the group stage of Copa America due to a calf injury. Chile's national team said in a statement on Saturday that 32-year-old Sanchez felt muscular soreness in a calf after a training session. It did not give more details.
“The recovery time goes beyond the Copa America group stage, so the athlete will remain in Chile with the medical staff of the national team," the statement said.
ALSO READ - Copa America: 12 COVID cases among Venezuela players, staff
Chile’s first match in the tournament will be on Monday against Argentina at the Nilton Santos stadium in Rio de Janeiro. Brazil and Venezuela will open Copa America on Sunday at the Mane Garrincha stadium in Brasilia. There will be no fans attending due to the country's alarming COVID-19 figures — more than 480,000 people have died of the disease in Brazil.
Copa America is divided into two groups of five teams. Group A includes Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay, Chile, and Paraguay. Brazil is in Group B with Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru. The four best of each group advance to the knockout stage.
Latest on Sportstar
- Selection trials priority over WFI elections: PT Usha
- Intercontinental Cup 2023: Chhetri, Jhingan laud facilities at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar’s sporting infrastructure
- Indian sports news wrap, June 6
- Norway Chess: Gukesh moves to joint third spot
- WTC Final 2023: Kohli ‘keen to help’ Gill grow and understand his potential