Aston Villa’s Italy midfielder Nicolo Zaniolo is assisting authorities in their investigation into alleged illegal betting activity, the Premier League club said on Friday.
Zaniolo was allowed to leave Italy’s squad before their Euro 2024 qualifiers with Malta and England, along with fellow midfielder Sandro Tonali, after the players were told of their involvement in an investigation by Turin prosecutors.
“Aston Villa can confirm Nicolo Zaniolo is assisting the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and the relevant authorities’ investigation into alleged illegal betting activity,” the Midlands club said in a statement.
“Zaniolo is training as normal with the first-team squad and available for selection ahead of this week’s match with West Ham United.”
The club said they will make no further comment during the ongoing process.
Aston Villa, which is in fifth place, four points behind leader Tottenham Hotspur, hosts West Ham on Sunday.
- WPL 2024: Struggling UP Warriorz eyes comeback against dominant Mumbai Indians
- WPL 2024: Mandhana, Renuka star as RCB beats Gujarat Giants by eight wickets
- Happy we could play to the merit of the ball: Deshpande after scripting history with Kotian in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal
- Shreyas Iyer included in Mumbai squad for Ranji Trophy semifinal
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Kotian, Deshpande script record-breaking feat against Baroda as Mumbai enters semis