Central defender Ronald Araujo has agreed to a contract extension with Barcelona through the end of the 2025-26 season, the Spanish club said Tuesday.
Barcelona said that the 23-year-old Uruguay international will sign his new deal on Friday.
Araujo, fast enough to keep up with the speediest strikers and strong in the area, is considered Barcelona’s most talented young defender. He shares playing time now with veteran Gerard Pique and Eric Garcia.
The club prioritized Araujo's extension, needing to solidify the future of its defense as the 35-year-old Pique enters the twilight of this career.
Araújo has scored six goals in 78 career appearances with Barcelona.
- La Liga: Vinicius scores 2 to earn Real Madrid draw in return to Valencia since racial abuse, Bellingham gets red
- NZ vs AUS, 1st Test: Lyon masterclass leads Australia to 172-run win against New Zealand
- Inter Miami 5-0 Orlando City HIGHLIGHTS, MLS: Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez help MIA thrash ORL
- Late Digne strike gives Villa 3-2 win over Luton
- Inter Miami vs Orlando City LIVE streaming info: Preview, predicted 11, when and where to watch MLS match in India?