Atletico resumes training after rest of squad tests negative for COVID-19

The club's morning session was postponed and its plans to travel to the Portuguese capital later on Monday were put on hold after two players tested positive for the virus on Sunday.

Atletico faces German side RB Leipzig on Thursday in the quarterfinals, hoping to set up a last-four meeting with Paris St Germain or Atalanta.

Atletico Madrid will return to training later on Monday for its final session ahead of its trip to the Champions League 'Final Eight' tournament in Lisbon after the rest of its squad tested negative for COVID-19, the club said in a statement.

“The first team squad and coaching staff underwent COVID-19 tests on Sunday and they all came back negative, after two positive tests were registered following the previous tests on Saturday,” said Atletico's statement.

Advertising
Advertising

“In keeping with health protocols, those who share a home with the two players who tested positive also received tests, which came back negative.

READ| Atletico confirms two COVID-19 positives before Champions League trip

“The club's medical services have been authorised by the two players to reveal their identity in order to end speculation.”

The club's morning session was postponed and its plans to travel to the Portuguese capital later on Monday were put on hold after two players tested positive for the virus on Sunday.

But the club said Diego Simeone's side would fly out to Lisbon on Tuesday without forward Angel Correa and injured defender Sime Vrsjalko, who were isolating at home after testing positive for the virus but were both asymptomatic.

Atletico faces German side RB Leipzig on Thursday in the quarterfinals, hoping to set up a last-four meeting with Paris St Germain or Atalanta. Atletico is seeking its first title in Europe’s most lucrative club competition. It lost the 2014 and 2016 Champions League finals to city rival Real Madrid. It was also runner-up in 1974, losing to Bayern Munich. Diego Simeone’s team was eliminated by Juventus in the round of 16 last season.

Mass positive tests at Madrid side Fuenlabrada last month threw the finale of the second division season into chaos, while cases across the country have continued to rise, with 1,895 cases being reported by the health ministry last Friday.

  Dugout videos