When Croatia scored the goal that took it into the World Cup final on Wednesday, an AFP photographer unwittingly became part of the celebrations as he was buried under a pile of joyous players.
After Mario Mandzukic scored in extra-time to give Croatia a 2-1 win against England in the semifinal , he ran to a corner of the pitch at Moscow’s Luzhniki Stadium to share his joy with his teammates.
View: In pictures: CRO vs ENG
“I was just changing my lens as the players ran towards me,” said photographer Yuri Cortez, who was positioned next to the pitchside advertising boards.
“They just kept coming towards me and they fell on me! It was a crazy moment, they were delighted. Then they suddenly realised that I was underneath them,” said Mexico City-based Cortez.
Quick as a flash, he picked up his camera and took some remarkable close-up shots of the Croats’ joy.
“Then they asked me if I was OK. Another one picked up my lens and another player (Domagoj Vida) gave me a kiss.”
Croatia, which has reached the final for the first time in its history, will play France on Sunday.
- India vs Thailand Table Tennis Live Score Asian Games 2023: IND 2-2 THA, Ayhika loses; Sharath loses in IND vs KAZ - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: India wins three silver, two bronze medals; Women’s cricket team reaches final; India leads Uzbekistan 15-0 in men’s hockey
- IND 15-0 UZB LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Varun Kumar scores hat-trick as India leads 15-0 vs Uzbekistan
- India thumps Bangladesh women in semifinal, confirms first Asian Games medal in cricket
- Asian Games 2023: Ramita wins bronze in women’s 10m air rifle