India almost snatched a victory against Olympic silver medallist Belgium but finally settled for a thrilling 2-2 at the Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar, on Sunday
It did not take Belgium much time to take a lead after beginning the game with high tempo as Alexander Hendrickx scored from a penalty corner in the 8th minute.
After surviving several scares in the second quarter, Harendra Singh's men came out as a different team after half time and equalised through Harmanpreet Singh's 39th minute penalty stroke.
It suddenly seemed to awaken a full-house Kalinga Stadium, which was up and roaring every single pass of the home team.
Then in the 47th minute, Simranjeet Singh --who famously scored the winning goal against Belgium in the 2016 Junior World Cup final-- scored from a Kothajit Singh pass to send the crowd into raptures.
It was India's game to lose as Belgium threw in a 11th outfield player to get the equaliser and succeeded as Simon Gougnard scored in the 56th minute.
In the first game of the day, South Africa, after wasting several opportunities, took the lead through Nqobile Ntuli's 43rd minute goal.
South Africa's joy was short lived as Canada skipper Scott Tupper stepped up to a penalty stroke in the final minute of 3rd quarter to make it 1-1.
Latest on Sportstar
- Indian sports news wrap, June 4
- Formula 1: Verstappen wins Spanish GP to continue Red Bull sweep
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: When and where to watch Benzema’s last game; Streaming Info; Predicted XI
- Norway Chess: Gukesh holds Carlsen, moves to career-high live rating
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash