Henry denied again as Monaco draw with Dijon

A 78th-minute header from centre-back Kamil Glik ensured Monaco didn't suffered a fifth straight league defeat.

Thierry Henry says he is staying positive during a tough phase for Monaco.   -  Frederick Florin/AFP

Thierry Henry is still searching for his first victory as Monaco coach after his team drew 2-2 with Dijon on Saturday.

Henry, who took over from the sacked Leonardo Jardim earlier this month, needed a powerful header from centre-back Kamil Glik on 78 minutes to prevent Monaco crashing to a fifth straight league loss.

Germany full-back Benjamin Henrichs opened the scoring for Monaco on 30 minutes, but the 2017 French champion fell behind at home after Dijon responded with goals from Mickael Alphonse and Mehdi Abeid.

Poland international Glik rescued a point for Monaco although it is now winless in 13 outings in all competitions and above bottom club Guingamp, who drew 1-1 with Strasbourg, only on goal difference.

“It's good we came back for the draw, but it's not a win. I'm trying to stay positive. I have to stay positive when things are tough,” said Henry, who lost Nacer Chadli to injury in the warm-up.

The Belgium international added to a mounting casualty list at Monaco, with Henry forced to field his fourth-choice goalkeeper in the 1-1 Champions League draw at Club Brugge on Wednesday.

Leading scorer Radamel Falcao hobbled off in Henry's managerial debut last weekend, a 2-1 loss at Strasbourg, with Stevan Jovetic hurt midweek in Bruges and Rony Lopes still unavailable.

“Yes, the situation is difficult. We're speaking about guys who aren't here. But I want to talk about those who are, they're the ones on the pitch trying to get the team out of this.”

“We didn't lose in Bruges, nor today. Now we need to go and get a result away from home (at Reims next Saturday),” he added.