Mohun Bagan takes on Aizawl FC in a Hero I-League contest at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata on Saturday.
Bagan will be bolstered by the return on Haitian winger Sony Norde and Japanese midfielder Yuta Kinowaki to the squad. Against what its coach Sankarlal Chakraborty described as “a strong attacking line-up,” the team will have to be compact in defence.
‘Strong attacking line-up’
“Aizawl have a strong attacking line-up. Moreover, when teams play against Mohun Bagan they have an urge to do something more. They have variation in attack. Also, Gift [Raikhan] is an award-winning coach. So it will be a tough game,” Chakraborty said ahead of the contest.
Aizawl’s attacking line-up consists of Zikahi Dodoz, Ansumanah Kromah and F. Lalremsanga. The three are backed up very well by wingers Paul and Isak with Liberian midfield rock Alfred Jaryan holding the fort in the centre.
Raikhan, the Aizawl coach, said his wards were confident. “Mohun Bagan is a good team and we respect them. We have experienced players who have played I-League for four to five years. They are confident for tomorrow. We have faced Mohun Bagan before, so its nothing new for us but yes, it is challenging to win the game tomorrow and we are prepared for it,” he said.
The contest begins at 5 pm.
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopi Chand - Double(s) delight for Indian badminton
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer
- Uday Saharan wins Emerging Hero award at the Sportstar ‘Focus Punjab’ Conclave
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore looks to maintain win-streak as it faces Delhi Capitals