Villarreal has sacked manager Javi Calleja following its disappointing start to the LaLiga campaign.
After finishing in the top six in each of the previous five seasons, Villarreal is currently in 17th place in the table and in the midst of a relegation battle.
It has won just one of its nine league games since September and Calleja has paid the price.
The 40-year-old played for Villarreal before joining the coaching staff seven seasons ago, initially in a role with one of the youth teams.
Calleja won three consecutive titles with the under-19s and stepped up to a position with the senior side in September 2017.
Villarreal finished fifth last year to qualify for the Europa League group stages, and it is top of Group G in that competition having drawn four of its five games.
- WPL 2024: Asha’s five-wicket haul helps RCB defeat UP Warriorz in a thriller
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2