Lionel Messi’s second-half goal gave Argentina a 1-0 home win over Ecuador on Thursday to get their 2026 World Cup qualifying campaign off on the right foot.
World champion Argentina was dominant in possession but frustrated in attack as it struggled to make the breakthrough.
Captain Messi, however, continued the fine form he is showing with club side Inter Miami by scoring from a free kick in the 77th minute.
In other qualifiers, Paraguay drew 0-0 with Peru while Colombia claimed a 1-0 home win over Venezuela.
The first round of CONMEBOL qualifiers continues on Friday when Uruguay host Chile before Brazil take on Bolivia.
More to follow..
- Anirban Lahiri, Bryson DeChambeau carry Crushers to team title in LIV Golf finale
- Asian Para Games 2023: Indians sweep all medals in two events to begin campaign in style
- Serie A: Juventus boosts title credentials with 1-0 win over 10-man Milan; Mourinho sees Roma beat Monza
- Ligue 1: Monaco come from behind to claim top spot with win over Metz
- IND vs NZ: Shami strikes with his first ball of World Cup 2023, becomes third highest wicket-taker for India in WC history