UEFA’s Technical Observer panel has named Sevilla’s Jesús Navas as the UEFA Europa League Player of the Season on Sunday.
The 37-year-old’s form has been up there with anything from his illustrious career and his season culminated with the wing-back scooping an astonishing fourth Europa League title.
Navas played a pivotal role in Sevilla’s 1-1 draw against Roma in the final, producing a teasing cross that Gianluca Mancini could only divert past his own goalkeeper to restore parity, before his side went on to triumph 4-1 on penalties.
“I know that ‘never give up’ is this team’s motto,” he said following the Budapest decider. “That can certainly be seen on the pitch. We are a family. Those of us who have been here for a longer time, the veterans, pass it on because this competition made us great.”
Bayer Leverkusen’s 20-year-old midfielder Florian Wirtz was Europa League Young Player of the Season, helping the Germans reach the semi-finals before losing 1-0 on aggregate to Roma.
- Asia Cup 2023, Super 4: Kohli, Rahul, Kuldeep shine as India registers record win over Pakistan
- India vs Pakistan Reserve Day weather updates, Asia Cup Super 4: Play resumes after rain relents
- India vs Pakistan HIGHLIGHTS, Asia Cup Super 4 Reserve Day: IND beats PAK by 228 runs for record win; Kohli, Rahul, Kuldeep shine
- Why is Cristiano Ronaldo not playing in the Portugal vs Luxembourg EURO 2024 qualifier?
- ‘Maximum respect’ for Rubiales resignation: Spain coach De la Fuente