Italy will be without Marco Verratti for its upcoming Nations League matches after the Paris St Germain midfielder had to be substituted due to a calf injury on Sunday.
Verratti was forced to leave the field in the 64th minute of their 1-0 Ligue 1 win at Olympique Lyonnais and PSG head coach Christophe Galtier said he would be examined on Monday.
Italy manager Roberto Mancini told reporters that the 29-year-old would not be available when they host England on Friday in Milan before travelling to Budapest to meet Hungary three days later.
“Verratti won’t make it,” Mancini said. “He took a knock on his calf and can’t even walk at the moment. We’re probably going to call up Davide Frattesi.”
PSG confirmed that Verratti would return to the French club to receive treatment for “a contusion with deep haematoma” of the left calf.
Italy has five points from four games in League A Group 3 and is third behind Germany and leaders Hungary.
- World Athletics Championships 2023 LIVE updates, Day 5: India’s Jeswin 12th in long jump qualification, Sreeshankar falters; latest results
- Praggnanandhaa vs Carlsen Final LIVE Updates, Round 2 Chess World Cup 2023: Pragg eyes historic win with black pieces against Carlsen after first round ends in draw
- World Athletics Championships 2023: Richardson and Jackson on course for 200m showdown
- Praggnanandhaa vs Carlsen Round 1 Final Highlights, Chess World Cup 2023: Pragg draws against Carlsen with white; Abasov beats Caruana
- US was not fully prepared heading into Women’s World Cup, says Horan