Kalinga Lancers thrashed Uttar Pradesh Wizards 10-2 in a high-scoring contest to register their second consecutive win and jump to the top of the fourth Hockey India League. Australian Glenn Turner (43rd, 47th minutes) scored two while Aran Zalewski (20th), Lalit Upadhyay (45th) and Dharamvir Singh (60th) were the other goal getters for the Lancers.
However, it was UP Wizards who took the lead in the 14th minute when Gonzalo Peillat scored from a penalty stroke. But Zalewski drew parity for Lancers through a field strike four minutes into the second quarter. The Lancers, then, struck three quick field goals in a span of four minutes to take a commanding 8-2 lead. Dharamvir, then, scored from a field effort in the final minute of the match to pocket the encounter convincingly for Lancers.
As per the new goal scoring system, every field goal and penalty stroke goal resulting from a deliberate foul is counted as two. By virtue of this win, Lancers have moved to the top of the standings with 11 points from three games, while UP Wizards are placed fourth with seven points from four outings.
The Lancers will now travel to Ranchi to face defending champions Ranchi Rays on on Thursday while the UP Wizards will face Delhi Waveriders in the Capital on February 1.
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: IND 140/5, 52 runs to win; Gill, Jurel rebuild after Bashir strikes twice
- PKL 10: Patna Pirates defender Krishan Dhull gears up for playoff challenge against Dabang Delhi
- Nike to release Australia women’s goalkeeper jersey after backlash
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 4 Quarterfinal updates: MP beats Andhra by 4 runs; Karnataka makes comeback vs Vidarbha
- NBA roundup: Pacers snap Mavs’ 7-game win streak