NorthEast United came way with a 2-2 draw against FC Goa in the Indian Super League at the Indira Gandhi Stadium on Monday.
Here are the major talkings points from the encounter.
1. Eelco Schattorie had promised to try and find out the weakness in FC Goa to get a favourable result for his side. NEUFC had remained unbeaten the previous season against the Gaurs and the Highlanders continued the trend as Schattorie’s boys fired a second half equaliser after having relinquished an early lead.
2. Rowllin Borges is one of the names that NEUFC has retained for the third straight season. The creative midfielder from Goa proved his worth once again by initiating the moves that led to its goals against a strong Goan side.
3. Just like the Goan influence for the Highlanders, a North-East player did a great service for the Goa in its midfield. Jackichand Singh, who joined the Gaurs from Kerala Blasters, stood out with his fine wing-play that lent strength to the visitor’s attack.
4. Goa’s Manipur goalkeeper Mohammad Nawaz needs to check on his exuberance. Despite being very alert under the bar, the young goalkeeper seemed to have lost sight of his area of operation. His handling of the ball outside the box led to the early goal in the eighth minute for which he escaped without a booking. The debutant was lucky not be sent off towards the end of the match when he received a yellow card.
5. NEUFC's new Nigerian striker Bartholomew Ogbeche, who also holds a French citizenship, celebrated his 34th birthday in a grand manner as he scored a spectacular equaliser to thrill the home supporters. Known for his strong heading ability, Ogbeche did not disappoint when hisonly opportunity of the match came his way.
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Andhra inches closer to historic win against Madhya Pradesh
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Tamil Nadu eliminates defending champion Saurashtra to enter semis
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Ashwin overtakes Kumble for most wickets in Tests in India
- Pramod, Yathiraj and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Los Cabos Open 2024: Thompson downs Ruud to win maiden ATP crown