Amlan Borgohain and Jyothi Yarraji won exciting races to emerge as the fastest man and woman of the National Games here on Saturday.
Undistracted by a false start, a gritty Amlan clocked 10.38 seconds to take the gold medal. “I just ran to win gold,” said Amlan.
Jyothi beat a star-studded field, including Hima Das, Dutee Chand and Srabani Nanda, to win the women’s crown with 11.51 seconds.
“Hima-didi and Dutee-didi encouraged me during the warm-up. It helped me,” said Jyothi.
Both Amlan (200m) and Jyothi (100m hurdles) will compete in their primary events in the coming days.
Rosy Meena Paulraj took the pole vault gold with a new National Record of 4.20m.
Commonwealth Games medallist M. Sreeshankar took the silver in long jump, behind Jeswin Aldrin, who leaped 8.26m to win the gold with a new Games Record, with a jump of 7.93m.
- World Athletics Championships, Live Updates: Neeraj Chopra leads Men’s Javelin Throw Final with 88.17m, Pakistan’s Nadeem second with 87.82m; 4x400m relay team in action later, Parul breaks National Record, qualifies for Paris Olympics
- Premier League: Super-sub Nunez grabs 2-1 win for 10-man Liverpool against Newcastle
- NUFC 1-2 LIV highlights, Premier League: Nunez brace guides 10-man Liverpool to comeback win against Newcastle
- Dutch Grand Prix: Ricciardo may need surgery and could be out for a while
- Premier League: Maddison opens Tottenham account in win at Bournemouth