Top 12 teams of the country will be seen in action in the 83rd All India and South Asia rugby championship to be held at the Calcutta Cricket and Football Club (CC&FC) ground here from Saturday.
While the absence of a foreign team is an aberration, the introduction of the women’s championship, featuring six sides, is novel in this year’s event.
Defending champion Army Red, Bombay Gymkhana, Delhi Hurricanes, Maharashtra State Police, Jungle Crows, Bangalore RFC, Bhubaneswar RFC, Young Rugby Club, Kolkata Sergeants Institute, Mumbai Magicians, Delhi Lions and CC&FC will compete in the men’s section.
Delhi Hurricanes, Bihar RFC, Odisha RFC, Jungle Crows, Young Rugby Club and CC&FC will be the sides in the women’s event.
“The event will be played on league-cum-knockout basis and the bottom three teams will be relegated to the lower division,” said Rugby India Chief Executive Officer Nasser Hussain at a press conference here on Friday.
The women’s final will be played on September 23 followed by the men’s final the next day.
Latest on Sportstar
- Sunil Gavaskar: WTC final venue should be around the world instead of just one country
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m
- Global Chess League unveils six franchises for inaugural edition
- Australia’s Smith wary of following Warner’s retirement plan
- ISL 2023-24: Mourtada Fall completes move to Odisha FC