India’s top singles paddlers--Sharath Kamal, G. Sathiyan and Manika Batra--entered the second round of the WTT World table tennis championships in Durban here on Sunday.
The 56th ranked Indian defeated world no. 170 David Serdaroglu of Austria 11-8, 9-11, 11-9, 11-6, 11-6 to advance to the round of 64.
Sathiyan beat England’s Tom Jarvis 4-3 (11-9, 11-8, 7-11, 11-2, 15-13, 13-11, 11-6) in another men’s singles contest to begin his campaign on a positive note.
The other Indians in the singles competition, Manika Batra scripted an easy straight-game 11-1, 11-3, 11-2, 11-5 win over Lynda Loghraibi of Algeria.
Manush Shah and Harmeet Desai had lost their opening matches on Saturday.
Sreeja Akula had won her round of 128 clash against Nicole Arlia of Italy.
The results (first round):
Latest on Sportstar
- Jabeur overcomes slow start to reach French Open fourth round
- Cerundolo downs Fritz to reach second week of slam for first time
- Nuggets coach says ‘We haven’t done a damn thing’ in NBA Finals
- Haddad Maia becomes first Brazilian woman to reach French Open last 16 in 44 years
- Fan arrested for ‘97’ slogan on shirt