Mackenzie McDonald advanced to the quarterfinals at the Eastbourne International by upsetting top-seeded Taylor Fritz 7-6 (3), 7-6 (8) on Wednesday.
McDonald rebounded from a service break down in each at the Wimbledon warm-up tournament.
“It’s a big win for me,” McDonald said. “Taylor’s a close friend, and it’s always tough playing your friends. It was a battle out there.”
Gregoire Barrere also scored an upset by eliminating fifth-seeded Nicolas Jarry 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
Also, Michael Ymer beat Liam Broady 6-2, 6-4 and eighth-seeded Miomir Kecmanovi defeated qualifier Aleksandar Vukic 7-4 (4), 6-4.
In the women’s draw, Coco Gauff moved into the quarterfinals with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Jodie Burrage.
The fifth-seeded Gauff won 10 straight games at one point.
She will next face third-seeded American Jessica Pegula, who beat Camila Osorio 6-2, 1-6, 6-3.
Also, ninth-seeded Daria Kasatkina beat Karolina Pliskova 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 and Madison Keys defeated Xiyu Wang 6-2, 7-6 (3).
- NBA Roundup: Pacers tops Bucks despite Giannis Antetokounmpo’s 54 points
- New Zealand Test cricketer Henry Nicholls to face ball tampering charge
- World Cup 2023: Business Development Director Sybrand Engelbrecht gets a second chance at cricket
- VIDEO: Tracing Mohammed Shami’s record-breaking ODI World Cup career
- South Africa vs Afghanistan LIVE score, ICC World Cup 2023: Preview, predicted 11, SA vs AFG streaming info; Toss at 1:30pm