Rafael Nadal saw his remarkable winning run of 37 completed French Open sets brought to an end on Wednesday by Diego Schwartzman.
Going into the quarterfinal clash at Roland Garros, Nadal had not lost a set at the tournament since his defeat to Novak Djokovic in the last eight in 2015.
Nadal only reached the third round in 2016 but his exit then came because of an injury withdrawal and he marched to a 10th French Open title in 2017 without dropping a set.
The Spaniard had been on course to do the same at this year's event but saw the first set against Schwartzman go the way of the Argentine, who claimed it 6-4.
- Will Pucovski suffers concussion after taking blow on head
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 2 Semifinal 2024: Thakur, Tamore frustrate TN; Solanki runout after 50-stand with Mantri
- NBA roundup: LeBron James hits milestone, but Nuggets win
- De Minaur sinks Ruud to retain Mexican Open crown
- India climbs to top spot in WTC standings after Australia beats New Zealand