Tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been summoned to face a court in Canberra in August for allegedly assaulting his ex-girlfriend in 2021.

The Canberra Times understands the charge carries a maximum prison sentence of two years. The publication reported, Barrister Jason Moffett, from Key Chambers, had been briefed in the matter.

"It's in the context of a domestic relationship. The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. Given the matter is before the court ... he doesn't have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we'll issue a media release," Moffett said.

Australian media said the charge was related to a complaint made by Kyrgios's former partner Chiara Passari. In October last year, Kyrgios and Passari were moved to separate rooms in their Adelaide quarantine hotel after an argument.

READ | I do what I want, says Kyrgios after breaking Wimbledon dress code

A statement from Australian Capital Territory Policing did not identify Kyrgios but said, "ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021."

"The ATP is aware of the Australian case involving Nick Kyrgios but as legal proceedings are ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time," the men's governing body ATP told Reuters by email.

Kyrgios, 27, is set to face Chile's Cristian Garin on Wednesday in the men's quarterfinals at Wimbledon.

The Australian has been fined a total of $14,000 during the grasscourt major for two offences -- spitting towards a fan after his first-round win and then for swearing in a fiery third-round clash with Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Wimbledon organisers, the All England Club, did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Moffett did not respond to Reuters ' requests for comment while an email sent to Kyrgios's representative was not answered.

(With inputs from Reuters)