- France won the 2018 FIFA World Cup by defeating Croatia 4-2 in the final at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.
- Croatia's Luka Modric won the Golden Ball award, England's Harry Kane won the Golden Boot and Thibaut Courtois of Belgium won the Golden Glove at the FIFA World Cup.
- Hima Das scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman to win a gold at the IAAF World U-20 Athletics Championships, claiming the top spot in the women’s 400m final race in Tampere, Finland.
- Rohit Sharma hit a world record-equalling third T20 century as India beat England to win the sixth T20I trophy in a row.
- Novak Djokovic won his fourth Wimbledon title by defeating Kevin Anderson in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, 7-6 and Angelique Kerber defeated Serena Williams in straight sets 6-3, 6-3 to win the women's singles title.
- Dipa Karmakar became the first Indian to win a vault gold medal at the Gymnastics World Challenge Cup.
- The trio of V. Jyothi Surekha, Trisha Deb and Muskan Kirar won the women's team silver medal at the Archery World Cup.
- Geraint Thomas won the 2018 Tour de France and became only the third British winner after Sir Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome.
- Indian weightlifter Jhilli Dalabehera bagged the bronze medal in the 2018 IWF Junior World Weightlifting Championship at Tashkent, becoming only the second woman after Mirabai Chanu to win a medal at the Junior World Championships.
- Sebastian Vettel denied Lewis Hamilton a record sixth win at home as he won the British Grand Prix. Vettel recorded his first victory at Silverstone since 2009.
- Football superstars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo crashed out of the FIFA World Cup on the same day as France defeated Argentina and Uruguay dumped Portugal out of the World Cup.
- Ace India shuttler P.V. Sindhu suffered her third loss in a final in 2018 as she lost the Thailand Open final to Nozomi Okuhara.
- Eight-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer was handed a shock defeat by Kevin Anderson in the quarterfinal.