- September 19, 2023 19:00Match Report
- September 19, 2023 18:5590+4’ Full Time
The referee blows the whistle. The hosts have blown the Indians away with four goals in the second half.
A Rahul KP goal in first half stoppage time sent India level at the break but China dominated the second 45 with Tao scoring two and Hao Fang impressing with a goal and assist to seal the points.
- September 19, 2023 18:5390+2’ Hao Fang makes it five!
Goal!! A through ball into space at the right side of the box and Hao Fang finds the bottom right corner from a tight angle.
CHN 5 - 1 IND
- September 19, 2023 18:5290’
Late chance for Vincy Barretto to get a goal back for India. A smart through ball played in through the defence and Barretto let out a shot from the edge of the box but it was blocked by the retreating defender.
Four minutes of added time
- September 19, 2023 18:4786’ Substitution
Rohit Danu replaces Sunil Chhetri and Amarjit Singh is replaced by Samuel James.
- September 19, 2023 18:4585’
Much better control of the ball from India after that ten minute spell where it conceded the three goals. Clear signs of fatigue in the team after not having enough preparation time ahead of the contest.
- September 19, 2023 18:4281’ CHN 4 - 1 IND
A chance for Tao to get his hattrick. The balls falls to him at the edge of the six yard box but the attempted shot is high over the bar.
- September 19, 2023 18:4080’ Substitutions
Three substitutions from the home team. Fresh legs in as they have a commanding lead. He Yupeng, Huang Jiahui and Liu Ruofan are the players coming in.
- September 19, 2023 18:3775’ China scores again!
Tao gets his second! Jhingan was robbed off the ball near the box and the cross in from the touchline by Fang Hao is turned in easily by Tao.
CHN 4 - 1 IND
- September 19, 2023 18:3574’
China strikes the post! A corner in is again not cleared properly, the Chinese players gather at the far post and the header in ricochets back in play before its cleared,
- September 19, 2023 18:3372’ China adds a third!
Tao Qianglong scores!! The long shot from Wang Haijian is parried to the right by Gurmeet but Tao was in the right place to turn it in. Questions regarding offside but the referees have given the goal.
CHN 3 - 1 IND
- September 19, 2023 18:3170’ Substitution
Fang Hao replaces goalscorer Dai Weijiun for the hosts
- September 19, 2023 18:3069’
Good spell of possesssion for India. Rahul KP finds Rahim Ali on the left wing. He puts a cross in to the box where Chhetri was waiting, but the defender clears.
- September 19, 2023 18:2766’
Sumir Rathi finds some space on the left flank and gets the cross in but it is easily pouched by the keeper. Rathi goes down immediately clutching his hamstring. Physio attending to him at the moment.
- September 19, 2023 18:2563’ CHN 2 - 1 IND
Abdul Rabeeh getting some treatment in what looks like some cramp. A short break in play after a period of sustained Chinese pressure.
- September 19, 2023 18:2060’ Substitution
First change for India as Vincy Barretto replaces Bryce Miranda.
- September 19, 2023 18:1857’
First sings of attack from India. Bryce finds some space in the left wing but the ball in is cleared by the defence. Amarjit and Chhetri look to combine but the defence clears again.
- September 19, 2023 18:1554’ CHN 2 - 1 IND
China continues to maintain possession after taking the lead. India yet to have a sniff since the second goal went in.
- September 19, 2023 18:1251’ China takes the lead!
Goal!! Dai Weijun lets fly from the edge of the box and finds the bottom left corner, past a diving Gurmeet. China back in the lead. Too much space awarded to the Chinese midfielder there. Should have closed him down much earlier.
CHN 2 - 1 IND
- September 19, 2023 18:1049’
Another chance for India as Bryce does brilliantly well at the touchline and pulls it back to Chhetri waiting in the box. But the captain’s shot is slightly wayward and rises over the bar.
- September 19, 2023 18:0847’ CHN 1 - 1 IND
A cross into the box Liu Yang from the left touchline, the ball is too high to cause any trouble to the defence though.
- September 19, 2023 18:06Second half begins
India gets the second half underway at Hangzhou. Will the late first half goal spur them to go and complete the win?
- September 19, 2023 18:03Rahul KP with a historic goal!
- September 19, 2023 17:5045+3’ Half Time
All square at halftime between India and China. Gao Tianyi gave China the lead following a corner in the 17th minute. Gurmeet saved a penalty right after, thwarting China’s attempt to extend the lead.
India grew into the game after the goal conceded, creating more chances. Rahul KP scored a stunning solo goal in the first minute of first half stoppage time to bring the scores level.
- September 19, 2023 17:4645+1 Rahul KP equalises!!
What a goal!! Rahul KP equalises for India! Stunning solo run along the right touchline and he rifles a shot in at the near post past the Chinese keeper. The shot ricochets in off the post. India right back in the contest.
- September 19, 2023 17:4545’
Three minutes of stoppage time at the end of the half.
- September 19, 2023 17:4443’
Good play from Rahul KP and Abdul Rabeeh down the right. Rahul gets a cross in to the far post but it is too high for Bryce coming in. Danger averted.
- September 19, 2023 17:4242’
Abdul Rabeeh with a ball into Rahim Ali who made a run to the right channel. Defender does well to stay close to his man. Only concedes a throw in.
- September 19, 2023 17:3939’ CHN 1 - 0 IND
Gurmeet fumbles the corner into the box, but no damage caused as there was nobody waiting to turn the ball in. He recovers and smothers the ball at the second attempt.
- September 19, 2023 17:3737’
Excellent one touch play from the Indian midfield there, but Rahul KP’s final through ball into Bryce is wayward and the chance goes begging.
- September 19, 2023 17:3635’ CHN 1 - 0 IND
Sumit Rathi is brought down by Dai near the centre circle, he tries to find Chhetri with an early freekick but the referee stops it as the ball was not placed in the right position. Good thinking from the young defender nevertheless.
- September 19, 2023 17:3332’ CHN 1 - 0 IND
China with more control over possession now. Bryce jumps to intercept the lobbed pass from China and Chhetri goes for the second ball and is fouled in the process. The freekick comes to nothing though as it is cleared easily.
- September 19, 2023 17:2929’
India pressing well in midfield over the last few minutes. The players have done well to win the ball in midfield. Bryce has had a few chances to put a cross in from the left flank but no real chance created apart from the Rahim Ali shot.
- September 19, 2023 17:2826’ CHN 1 - 0 IND
Amarjit Singh wins the ball back in midfield after pressure from the left winger. The ball falls to Rahim Ali who had acres of space in the box, but he goes for an early shot which is high over the bar. He had more time than he imagined there. Could have forced a shot on target.
- September 19, 2023 17:2424’ Gurmeet saves!!
Gurmeet saves the penalty!! Zhu Chenjie, the captain stepped up to take the penalty, He goes for the far left corner but Gurmeet does well to reach it and push it away from danger.
- September 19, 2023 17:2323’ Penalty!
Penalty to China!! Gurmeet brings down Tan Long in the box and the referee points to the spot. A yellow card shown to the keeper as well.
- September 19, 2023 17:2222’
Bryce finds space to get a cross in from the left, Rahim was lurking near the six year box but the Chinese centre back does well to head the ball away.
- September 19, 2023 17:2121’ CHN 1 - 0 IND
China switches play to the right wing, with the winger trying to cut back inside, Rahim does well to stay with the man and steal the ball.
- September 19, 2023 17:1717’ China takes the lead!
Gao Tianyi scores!! The corner in was not cleared by India. The header at the far post falls to Gao in the six-yard area who guides it past Gurmeet to give China the lead.
CHN 1 - 0 IND
- September 19, 2023 17:1615’ China goes close!!
What a chance!! The cross in from the right finds the attacker making a late run into the box. Gurmeet again at the right place in the right time to block the shot.
- September 19, 2023 17:1514’ Chhetri from a distance!!
China guilty of giving the ball away in the middle of the pitch and Chhetri lets fly from a distance. Goes over the bar though!
- September 19, 2023 17:1313’ CHN 0 - 0 IND
Gurmeet saves 1v1 against Tao!! The flag goes up for offside though! The keeper did well to stick his leg out there, preventing the striker from finding the corner.
- September 19, 2023 17:1212’
Liu Yang attempts a through ball along the left wing for Tao, but the ball is overhit and goes away for a goalkick.
- September 19, 2023 17:099’ CHN 0 - 0 IND
India defending with a 3 centre backs. Looks like a 3-5-2 with Rahim and Chhetri playing as the centre forwards. China going long to its strikers, restricting India’s press at the front.
- September 19, 2023 17:076’ Gurmeet saves!!
Clutch save from Gurmeet to keep the scores level. Xu cuts back in from the right flank, sending a cross in which is met by Tan Long. His header was straight at the keeper who did well to repel the danger.
- September 19, 2023 17:044’ CHN 0 - 0 IND
First attempt on goal from the hosts. Xu Haoyang gets his head to a cross in from the left but he can’t direct it on the target. Goal kick for India.
- September 19, 2023 17:033’
First real chance for the hosts. A low cross in from the left flank by Tao but the defence is at the right place to get it away from the danger area.
- September 19, 2023 17:021’ CHN 0 - 0 IND
Early turnover of possession for India as Bryce Miranda goes on a run along the left touchline. He puts a cross into the box, but there is no one there to get at the end of it. Easy catch for the keeper at the end.
- September 19, 2023 17:00Kick-off
India is sporting its blue kit while the hosts are in its traditional full red kit. Match officials for today are from Indonesia and Thailand.
China to get us underway in this Group A encounter.
- September 19, 2023 16:53All set at the Huanglong Sports Center Stadium!
India, led by Sunil Chhetri, will be looking to beat hosts China for the first time in history. Kick off in just over 5 minutes.
The teams lineup for the national anthems.
- September 19, 2023 16:50Asian Games football group stage
The group stage of the men’s competition features six groups, five with four teams each and one with three. The top two teams from each group and the four best third-placed teams from all groups will advance to the round of 16.
- September 19, 2023 16:47Asian Games knockout schedule
September 27 or 28: Men’s Round of 16
October 1: Men’s Quarterfinal
October 4: Men’s Semifinal
October 7: Men’s Gold/Bronze medal match
- September 19, 2023 16:40India vs China - Asian Games head to head
Matches Played: 4
India wins: 0
China wins: 3
- September 19, 2023 16:35Indian Football at Asian Games: Selection confusion, AIFF-ISL standoff explained
- September 19, 2023 16:32India vs China - Overall Head to Head
Matches played: 15
India wins: 0
China wins: 8
- September 19, 2023 16:25Stimac on India’s chances during the Asian Games
“It is difficult to say because you don’t have much information about all the teams you’re going to face there. I think we are the only team that hasn’t played a single game with the under-23s in the last two years.
“How much we can do in a short period of time is a huge question. Obviously, we do have strong under-23 players, who are already a huge part of the senior national team, and it should help us,” Stimac said.
“We are going to face the biggest opponent in our group, China, in the opening game. And 48 hours later, we have to play the next opponent (Bangladesh), which is hugely surprising. We’re going to put all our efforts into the opening game and do our best to beat China to make our lives easier,” he added.
- September 19, 2023 16:16Head coach Stimac during the pre-game presser
Igor Stimac: No training session before China game, we will give tactical preparation on flight
The Indian men’s football team head coach Igor Stimac said that since his side will not have any training sessions, it intends to use the travelling time for tactical preparation, ahead of its Asian Games opening fixture in Hangzhou on Tuesday.
“The players are arriving at the airport at 5-6 p.m. today. We have a flight at 10 p.m. and will reach Hong Kong at 7 a.m. We then need to wait another 5-6 hours to take a flight to Hangzhou, where we will reach at 5 p.m. (on Monday).
We will not have a single training session prior to the game. We will give tactical preparation at the airport and on the flight. We need to let players rest once we reach Hangzhou before the first game,” the Croat lamented.
“There is no reason to look back now. It’s time to focus on what can be done within our power to open the tournament with a good fight. We cannot expect more. More importantly, I will need to approach this very carefully and discuss with the players about their physical conditions,” Stimac added.
- Aashin Prasad
Read full presser here.
- September 19, 2023 16:12History for Captain Chhetri!
- September 19, 2023 16:04Line-ups out!
India: Gurmeet (GK), Lalchungnunga, Sandesh Jhingan, Ayush Dev Chhetri, Sumit Rathi, Amarjit Singh, Rahim Ali, Rahul KP, Sunil Chhetri (C), Bryce Miranda, Abdul Anjukandan
China: Han Jiaqi (GK), Liu Yang, Jiang Shenlong, Zhu Chenjie (C), Wang Zhenao, Xu Haoyang, Wang Haijian, Gao Tianyi, Tao Qianglong, Dai Weijun, Tan Long
- September 19, 2023 15:59Indian men’s team for Asian Games football
Goalkeepers: Gurmeet Singh, Dheeraj Singh Moirangthem, Vishal Yadav
Defenders: Sumit Rathi, Narender Gahlot, Deepak Tangri, Sandesh Jhingan, Chinglensana Singh, Lalchungnunga.
Midfielders: Amarjit Singh Kiyam, Samuel James Lyngdoh, Rahul KP, Abdul Rabeeh, Ayush Dev Chhetri, Bryce Miranda, Azfar Noorani, Vincy Barretto.
Forwards: Sunil Chhetri, Rahim Ali, Rohit Danu, Gurkirat Singh, Aniket Jadhav
Head coach: Igor Stimac
- September 19, 2023 15:46A frank Stimac during the pre-game presser
- September 19, 2023 15:42Indian men’s football team schedule for Asian Games
September 19: China vs India - (17:00 IST, Hangzhou)
September 21: India vs Bangladesh (13:30 IST, Xiaoshan)
September 24: Myanmar vs India (17:00 IST, Xiaoshan)
- September 19, 2023 15:31Asian Games Football Preview
Indian football’s journey in the Asian Games has witnessed a transformation from prominence to relative obscurity. The roots of India’s footballing glory in the tournament can be traced back to its remarkable victory in the inaugural edition held in 1951 in New Delhi.
It was on the Asian Games stage that India showcased its footballing prowess, emulating this feat again in Jakarta in 1962 and securing a bronze medal in Bangkok in 1970. These three medals represented the achievements of three generations of footballers who thrived under the legacy and infrastructure established by the British during their colonial rule.
However, the subsequent 50 years witnessed a steady decline, marked by mismanagement and mediocrity. Despite initial success, India’s administrators failed to sustain the developmental initiatives required to keep pace with the global progress of the sport.
Following the early period of glory, the peak of India’s performance was a sixth-place finish when it hosted the Asian Games again in 1982. In the years that followed, India’s performance graph continued to dip, and when the Asian Games became an event for under-23 national teams, like the Olympics, in 2002, India’s performance deteriorated further.
The nadir came in 2014 when India finished 26th in Incheon, and the nation opted not to participate in the subsequent edition in Jakarta in 2018. The Indian Sports Ministry’s reluctance to send teams without medal prospects led to a concerted effort by the All India Football Federation (AIFF) to secure the participation of both the men’s and women’s national teams in Hangzhou.
- Amitabha Das Sharma
- September 19, 2023 15:22Match day at Hangzhou
- September 19, 2023 15:11LIVE STREAMING INFO
When and where can I watch Indian football matches in the Asian Games?
All Indian football matches, men and women, will be live telecast in the Sony Ten Network and can be live streamed on Sony LIV.
- September 19, 2023 14:23Stay Tuned!
Welcome to Sportstar’s live coverage of the Asian Games 2023 men’s football match between India and China at Hangzhou. Stay Tuned for info regarding the lineups and live updates from the game.
- India vs China, Asian Games 2023: Sunil Chhetri sets another Indian football record
- India vs China football highlights, Asian Games 2023: IND 1-5 CHN, Sunil Chhetri and Co. slump to loss in opener
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan LIVE updates, AFC Cup score: Match underway; Streaming info
- Ramita Jindal confident of good show in Asian Games
- Bangladesh bowler Tanzim Hasan sorry for misogynist remarks: BCB