Aruna Reddy — the World Cup gymnastics bronze medallist — is pleased with her medal-winning effort though she is aware that she has to evolve constantly with each training session to be a better gymnast.
“I am pleased that I could prove many wrong by winning a medal on the big stage at the age of 22. I think age is no bar for us any more,” said Aruna in a chat with Sportstar after her return home here on Friday.
“There is always a general perception that Indian gymnasts struggle on the international stage for they tend to translate their potential late after crossing 20,” said Aruna.
“But if you have the focus, world-class training facilities, the desired support system and determination you can still compete with the best in the world. I think the success story of Dipa [Karmakar] is a huge inspiration for many like me,” she added.
Aruna also stressed on the need for better facilities in the country saying it was a demanding task for Indian gymnasts.
“Winning my first international medal and it being a World Cup bronze is all the more special. I am now targeting medals in the Commonwealth Games and the World championship later this year. It is not going to be easy. It helped a lot to be in the Indian camp under the foreign coach in Uzbekistan. But this is possible only when you get the basics right from your first coaches. In my case it was the late Giriraj, then Ravinder and now Brij Kishore who worked really hard to fine-tune my skills,” she said. “It is sad that Brij sir is in hospital now,” she said.
“I am glad that achievers in gymnastics from India are also getting their due in terms of recognition,” added Aruna.
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr highlights, SHB 2-3 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Talisca brace, Ronaldo strike guide Nassr to win and keep title race alive
- Saudi Pro League: Ronaldo scores milestone goal as Al Nassr edges Al Shabab to keep title race alive
- WPL 2024: Gujarat Giants stumbles to five-wicket loss against Mumbai Indians in low-scoring encounter
- Serie A 2023-24: Late Rugani goal gives Juventus 3-2 win over Frosinone
- Carabao Cup final, CHE vs LIV: Van Dijk nets extra-time winner as Liverpool beats Chelsea